1956 hardtop window fell out

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was setting up a pully system to raise the top up to ceiling in my garage. In moving it into position, top not on car, the rear window fell out on my feet. No damage! I was surprised to see that there wasn't anything but the rubber gasket with the chrome trim band holding it into the opening. It looked like the rubber gasket may not have been installed correctly as some of it was folded over. Is that all that was used originally to hold it in? I didn't see any caulk or glue.
It looks like the top may be original, or if not, quite old. How do I know if it is OEM. There is a number engraved into the fiberglass boss that the rt. rear hold down pin goes through.
Also the glass is tinted. Is that correct? Doesn't bother me .Just curious.
Thanks Jeff

Does you top have a full headliner and beading around the edges? The only part number I know of on an original top is under the headliner. Tinted glass is normal and yes it sounds like the rubber gasket was not fully engaged. No glue or sealer was used.

Thanks
I'll try and attach some pics. of the engraving and the headliner. the weatherstripping around window feels payable and soft. not like the older ws. for the top that is hard and brittle and torn and mishapen. might be newish? I'll try to reuse it.
20210918_154100.jpg20210918_154122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I just looked at mine as it's hanging in my garage I know for a fact that it's original and came with the car built in early '57. Yours looks original But I have no engraving on the bottom of the latch. I have to remove one as the internal spring is broken.
Yes, your weather-stripping looks to have been replaced. I would just put some vinyl/rubber conditioning on it to keep it soft and pliable. I'm wondering if the liner was replaced and weather striping by a shop that does several at a time and they engraved that number as inventory and not miss placed or mixed up with another.

@woodeye I inserted your photos into your post using this method-

I was setting up a pully system to raise the top up to ceiling in my garage. In moving it into position, top not on car, the rear window fell out on my feet. No damage! I was surprised to see that there wasn't anything but the rubber gasket with the chrome trim band holding it into the opening. It looked like the rubber gasket may not have been installed correctly as some of it was folded over. Is that all that was used originally to hold it in? I didn't see any caulk or glue.
It looks like the top may be original, or if not, quite old. How do I know if it is OEM. There is a number engraved into the fiberglass boss that the rt. rear hold down pin goes through.
Also the glass is tinted. Is that correct? Doesn't bother me .Just curious.
Thanks Jeff
Yes the glass is held in by the gasket/seal only. I would normally install a new seal if the seal on hand is not smooth, soft, and pliable. the seal when properly installed "hugs" the inner and outer surfaces of the top with the glass somewhat sandwiched between them. It should not fall out if properly installed with correct seal and method of installation. The use of clothesline cord and a second person is usually needed to put pressure on the glass and allow the installer to use the cord to bring the seal over the lip of the top.

I think I know why it fell out the 1st time. Besides the gasket not being fully seated I think I flexed the top moving it by myself. it kind of happened again while I was trying to install the widow yesterday. I tried to reposition the top for better access. it got twisted a little and the window came loose. it wasn't quite fully installed yet. I'm surprised at how flexible the top is.

I got the window in and I thought I was done with that project. Not to be. In flipping it over to look at the top weather stripping and head liner it popped out again. I ordered a new gasket and will let you know how it goes.
I think I'm going to start a new post asking for advise re: installing a new head liner and the W.S. as long as I have the window out. My W.S. is real bad and the liner isn't very sharp looking any more with a few small holes and sagging hear and there. Looking forward to more discussions.
I didn't know there was a distinction between early and late 56's. Do I look at the VIN for the change and if so where did it change. In looking at the mounting plates for the tops, there seems to be a difference between early and later designs. The early ones had a hole for the locking pin with 2 ears and the later one had only 1 ear. Mine has 2.
I really enjoy and appreciate all the help I've gotten so far. There's a lot to learn!
Thanks to all Jeff

You may need to add more fiberglass to the opening to close the gap some
Very unfortunate

I've heard the new gaskets are a bit thicker and take more manipulation to install. Plus being newer should be more pliable. I think a new gasket should do the trick.

Back