1956 Glass Fuel Filter Bowl

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shawnski

Shawnski

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Should the glass fuel filter bowl be full while the engine is running? I had Arthur Gould Rebuilders, go through and rebuild my original fuel pump and I added an electric fuel pump as a back up. Car starts and runs fine without using the electric pump, so kudos to Arthur Gould Rebuilders! My concern is the glass bowl isn’t full, in fact I’ve seen it below the filter… that just doesn’t seem right..

I seems logical but my ‘56 fuel glass runs great at 1/2 full. It is the demand by the float in the carb that dictates flow. My oil fired furnace has a “tiger loop” filter and it too is just clear at the top of the site glass

Yup, mine is never full. 1/5 at best but still clean. Have a back-up filter & gasket just in case.
The thing I like about glass bowl filters is that if there is any water in the fuel it will settle to the bottom of the bowl before it gets to the carb.
Anybody that has a compressor knows there is a way to catch and/or drain any water in the system. It's working as designed.

You do realize that these extra filters, extra solenoid, extra springs, sparkplugs, wires, rotor, cap, condenser , extra tire, extra tools…. The trunk is not big enough and as we all know, there’s no back seat. Additionally, by carrying them around…like an umbrella, you’ll likely never need them.
Odd how that will happen

The glass filter bowl will not normally be full with the car running...its the same with older tractors with glass fuel bowls and my 61 Corvette with two four barrels. Seems counter-intuitive but there yiou have it.

I also added an electric "back up" fuel pump to my 63 Corvette - I advise you to use it sparingly though as they can be dangerous.

Tech Tip by Doug Stoessner
Replacing the Fuel Filter

The fuel filter for your Thunderbird is located inside a glass bowl which is in the fuel line directly above your fuel pump on the driver's side of the engine compartment at the front of the engine. To insure that your car's fuel system is working properly, it is important that you periodically change the fuel filter. When changing your fuel filter you will be working with gasoline. Please use caution! I purchased my fuel filter from one of the Thunderbird parts suppliers who advertise in our newsletter; however I was told that it also can be purchased locally through NAPA. Make sure the new fuel filter comes with the rubber gasket for the glass bowl. The rubber gasket slides over the filter element. The filter should have a bit of material protruding past the filter element so the rubber gasket presses against it and holds the filter element in place against the filter housing. Before replacing the fuel filter, make sure that your car is on level ground and the engine is not running. Now find the glass bowl. The glass bowl is held in place by a wire harness with a wing nut at its base. By loosening the wing nut at the base of the glass bowl, you can push the wire harness over to one side and remove the glass bowl from the fuel filter housing. Be careful to catch any gas that may spill. The following tip is not necessary, but I found that it made replacing the fuel filter much easier. Using a 1/2" and 9/16" wrench, loosen the two brass gas line fittings which connect the fuel filter housing on both sides to the fuel lines. You will only need to loosen the fittings enough to allow you to swing the filter housing upside down so that the fuel filter element will be facing up, directly at you. Once you have rotated the filter housing, remove the fuel filter element. Next, install the new filter element with the paper side towards the fuel filter housing and install the new gasket over the filter element being careful not to fold or kink it. Make sure the gasket fits evenly in the recessed channel of the filter housing. Reinstall the glass bowl and place the wire harness back in its original position around the glass bowl. Tighten up the wing nut so that the glass bowl fits snugly into the fuel filter housing. Make sure your gasket did not shift out of the channel in the filter housing. Turn the filter housing, with the glass bowl attached, back into its original position so that the glass bowl is underneath the filter housing. Now retighten the brass gas line fittings on both sides, start the engine and check for leaks

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
What fuel filter bowl (short or deep) is correct for a 1956 with a 312?

What fuel filter bowl (short or deep) is correct for a 1956 with a 312?
It depends on the build date. I think some of the 55's had the long bowl as do some of the early 56's. My car is a late 56 (June) and has the short bowl which I have been told is correct. Also, the deep bowl I think used a ceramic filter but I am not an expert on these.

Should the glass fuel filter bowl be full while the engine is running? I had Arthur Gould Rebuilders, go through and rebuild my original fuel pump and I added an electric fuel pump as a back up. Car starts and runs fine without using the electric pump, so kudos to Arthur Gould Rebuilders! My concern is the glass bowl isn’t full, in fact I’ve seen it below the filter… that just doesn’t seem right..
Mine is about 1/2-2/3 full.

It depends on the build date. I think some of the 55's had the long bowl as do some of the early 56's. My car is a late 56 (June) and has the short bowl which I have been told is correct. Also, the deep bowl I think used a ceramic filter but I am not an expert on these.
thank you, my 56 build date 1/11/1956

Back