1956 gas tank placement pads

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you still have the old tank you should get a good idea of where they were originally placed.
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the old pads are gone and previous owner had painted the top of the tank. Tank and lines were totally rusted and I'm replacing the tank and lines with all new from tank to carb.

With close inspection of the tank top is there any indication of the placement of the pads? Depending on whom you are getting the new tank and attending parts, ask the seller where the pads should be placed. Any of the Thunderbird specialty suppliers would be quite likely to help you when you purchase the tank and parts from them.

I just helped a friend put a new tank in his 57. He got new pads for it. Looking at the old tank (which had many pads missing but enough to determine placement) , there are three rows of three. One row in each side of the tank in between the ribs and three right down the middle. The kit he bought had more pads, so if you have extra you could make four lines, the middle two located evenly in relation to the two outer lines. Glue or tape them to the tank so they don't move during installation

When I replaced my tank on my 55, there are bumps on the tank that align with recesses in the body. I glued mine to the top of the bumps and let them dry overnight. Putting the tank up in place the pads go in the recess area.

Back