1956 estimate for frame repair

canadiancreed

canadiancreed

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Morning all
So stumbled on a '56 that looks pretty decent, but getting under the car, the frame is...well not great would be a good way to describe it. I was budgeting five to ten k to either repair or replace, but wondered if it's even worth it or not? The rest of the car is pretty cherry so it's why I'm curious if it's worth the bother and if there's anything else that might trip me up if the frame is going off.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You are always better off to buy a car that is restored already unless you are filming a car restoration television show. Lol !

People spend so much money trying to restore a car themselves and usually end up with an unfinished project.

I agree with @biddle, You would be wasting your money. Better to find another.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the frame is that bad is the body really any better??? likely not. Being thinner the body sheet-metal is often in worse shape.
Use a good work light and a magnet everywhere you can and check carefully for plastic filler compound.

Just taking the body off the frame to repair or replace things is a huge labor intensive job. (not to mention the actual repairs)
If you end up having to replace the frame be aware they have serial numbers on them that match the official Title and Registration documents for the car.
The paperwork trail for a frame swap is very important so unhappy DMV / law enforcement folks don't file to seize the vehicle.
TW frame rack front.jpg

Can you post pictures of the issues? And what are they asking for the car?

Can you post pictures of the issues? And what are they asking for the car?

Morning all
So stumbled on a '56 that looks pretty decent, but getting under the car, the frame is...well not great would be a good way to describe it. I was budgeting five to ten k to either repair or replace, but wondered if it's even worth it or not? The rest of the car is pretty cherry so it's why I'm curious if it's worth the bother and if there's anything else that might trip me up if the frame is going off.
Sounds like lipstick on a pig. My wife's son was looking at a cherry looking mustang that supposedly had a suspension rebuild. Had a pro inspect it and EVERYTHING was worn out. Who knows what that shiny paint was hiding.

With his budget of $5-10K I don't think he will come even close. Let alone any other system that may need attention. I think Biddle's comments are spot on.
I've seen a few ads lately in Hemmings of people who are selling their car for much less than invested just to get out from under it.

Frame work is really not hard or expensive, especially if you can weld...

Just for the record, frame rack time at a real body shop is now about 100.00 an hour. Basic setup is 2 hours. Actual straightening time is fairly short.
Cut and weld time depends on what and where the problem is. 5000.00 for frame work is pretty high in my mind.

@Ward57, all you need is a body shop, I live in two states on the west coast and rack time is fairly cheap. Every good body shop has at least one frame rack. I have even contemplated buying one myself.

My truly missed opportunity happened about 10 years ago, I could have bought a complete working rack 24' long with 4posts for 1800.00
Being in the aftermath of divorce I just couldn't swing the deal. It didn't last long.

You might need the frame to be square, Need someone having a frame puller shop can be expensive.

Just for the record, frame rack time at a real body shop is now about 100.00 an hour. Basic setup is 2 hours. Actual straightening time is fairly short.
Cut and weld time depends on what and where the problem is. 5000.00 for frame work is pretty high in my mind.
I don't know where you live but I can't think of any general repair shop let alone a specialty shop where you can get $100/hr rate.

The comment about buying a vehicle that has been restored is SPOT ON. I am currently doing a body off restoration on a 1956 Ford F100. Not counting my labor (and that is extensive) I am into this vehicle $70,000 and I am no where near done. I expect to be in the $80,000 range when completed and then I can sell it for maybe $40,000. I am not going to sell, and I am enjoying the experience (sometimes more than other times) and I am proud of my accomplishment and know that there are still a ton of things that should have been done better. ONLY restore a car is you have some sentimental attachment or you want the pride of accomplishment. You will rarely come out ahead financially.

Morning all
About 4 years ago I had to remove the body on a 1955 Thunderbird to repair the rotted portions of the frame. If you have access to a lift, removing the body from the frame is not that big of a deal.

Here are some pictures of the frame repairs that were made.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

104_7707.JPG

104_7709.JPG

104_7710.JPG

104_7711.JPG

104_7712.JPG104_7714.JPG

Thunderbird Frame 4.jpg

This is what I am talking about Doug! These cars are not rocket science! I think more people should stop writing checks to "restoration"shops and write them to a tool dealer instead.

Harley, I agree with 100%. Anyone can pay a shop to repair their car. The fun of hobby is the knowledge that you gain, not to mention the pride you have, knowing that you did the repairs yourself.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back