1956 door hinge refurbishing

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am trying to remove the door hinges on my 1956 tbird to replace the grommets and pins. I can’t access the top bolt of the top hinge inside the door. I tried and articulated ratcheting box wrench but it won’t hold onto the bolt due to the shape of the hinge. I tried an articulated socket handle but it is too deep to get inside and over the bolt. Any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Added these pics. The strut is in the way and get a socket wrench in and get any leverage. I think it was painted over and can’t break it free. Tried penetrating oil and heat. No luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thinking of cutting brace out and having someone weld it back later.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpeg
    IMG_3358.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3358.jpeg
    IMG_3358.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3360.jpeg
    IMG_3360.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Added these pics. The strut is in the way and get a socket wrench in and get any leverage. I think it was painted over and can’t break it free. Tried penetrating oil and heat. No luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thinking of cutting brace out and having someone weld it back later.
Have you used them successfully? Doesn’t look like they will fit around the bolt due to the fact that the bolts are recessed below the center if the hinge.

I used a long handle craftsman box wrench through the front door cutout. A friend ground a slot in the inside door area above the bolt just enough to fit an extension 3/8s. I’ve done 4 birds and never heard of this. If you use a thin wall 6 piont socket you should have no problem

I used a long handle craftsman box wrench through the front door cutout. A friend ground a slot in the inside door area above the bolt just enough to fit an extension 3/8s. I’ve done 4 birds and never heard of this. If you use a thin wall 6 piont socket you should have no problem

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
Back