1956 Does repainting affect value?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
L

lightfoot

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We are going to get my wife's 56 baby bird repainted due to some damage. It is currently fiesta red but she would like a brighter red. Is there any comments about repainting the car such as value or suggestions of red's to consider?
Thanks for any help
I do understand it's my wife's car and she will color it the color she wants and all I can do is smile.

Gordon

People make such a big deal out of paint. To me, unless it is an unusual original color and dead perfect than paint is just paint. Make her happy! If you ever go to sell it, the next owner can paint it too.

Value is usually based on condition
Good paint good value
Some of the purists may not value it as much

I agree with @74Harley ..When I was working with vintage Harley’s, original paint was a thing if the bike was closeted for several decades or properly stored. These bikes were RARELY pristine examples, although they’re out there. These are examples of an item that was built in 1920 and lived relatively unharmed for 90-100 years. I tend to think a very pretty re-painted t-bird that looks pretty and is reliable is a bigger demand item than an original paint vehicle. Especially that my wife will be using it. I would almost insist on some modifications to improve its safety ….original or not…. Like seatbelts ? and a few cup holders

We are going to get my wife's 56 baby bird repainted due to some damage. Is there any comments about repainting the car such as value or suggestions of red's to consider?
Thanks for any help
I do understand it's my wife's car and she will color it the color she wants and all I can do is smile.
Red is a popular color for repainting Baby Birds. The Fiesta Red in '56 was a slightly pale tomato-soup shade of red. When they get repainted most seem to be done in a 'better' shade of red, closer to the Torch Red used in '55 and late '57. Seeing one in the original Fiesta Red is getting kind of rare these days.

There is a very nice Vermilion Red that Ford used in the early 90's. (image # 4)
But I do understand about your wife choosing the color. It took me 10 years to find a '57 with original paint & interior colors my wife approved of. ?

Attachments

• '55 colors, chart.jpg
    '55 colors, chart.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
  • '56 colors, chart.jpg
    '56 colors, chart.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 8
  • '57 colors, chart.jpg
    '57 colors, chart.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20150808_111514569_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150808_111514569_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
one of our birds was a 1957. I did a body off restoration on it. The original color was Colonial White. My wife wanted 1957 Dusk Rose. It was a near Concours car except for the color change and some other minor details. We decided 2 years later to sell it. It sold immediately and the buyer could care less the color didn’t match the data plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back