1956 Cigar Lighter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone replaced their OEM cigar lighter with Casco's? The OEM cigar lighter has a single wire connector/terminal. The Casco lighter has an additional connector that's an integral part of the locking sleeve that secures the lighter to the dash. While we're at it, did you experience difficulty removing the locking sleeve from the Casco lighter?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is your ‘56 6v positive ground or 12v negative ground?

its the same socket you can buy at auto zone. the extra tab is for a ground wire that you don't need in a bird with a steel dash

Then the shield wire won’t be needed but I’d connect it to the metal dash just to ne sure you have a good ground.

Has anyone replaced their OEM cigar lighter with Casco's? The OEM cigar lighter has a single wire connector/terminal. The Casco lighter has an additional connector that's an integral part of the locking sleeve that secures the lighter to the dash. While we're at it, did you experience difficulty removing the locking sleeve from the Casco lighter?
I'll post the same comment here that I just made over on the other forum...

The original socket used a sort of resettable fuse that screwed onto the post on the back, and the hot wire then attached to that fuse. If you swap to the new style, be sure to put in some sort of circuit protection on the hot wire (e.g., inline fuse in the wire), or you'll have a hot wire from the battery with no safety mechanism (i.e., a fire hazard in the event of a short due to chafing wire or the like).

Jim Brown (Casco) confirmed that the lighter socket is "Universal." The extra terminal is there in case the dash ground is insufficient. He specifically mentioned boats (fiberglass).

I found 2 sources for a fuse that screws onto the threaded posted at the back of the lighter socket. Neither has a circuit-breaker reset button. If they aren't compatible with the Casco socket, I will add an inline fuse.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim Brown (Casco) confirmed that the lighter socket is "Universal." The extra terminal is there in case the dash ground is insufficient. He specifically mentioned boats (fiberglass).

I found 2 sources for a fuse that screws onto the threaded posted at the back of the lighter socket. Neither has a circuit-breaker reset button. If they aren't compatible with the Casco socket, I will add an inline fuse.

Thanks for the replies.
Look for part number FEW-14429-A. It's not a reset *button*, it's a reset *recess* (insert a paper clip to reset). Just a hole in the rear of the case.

Several available on Ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the replies.
PLEASE add a fuse if none is already provided !
A lot of classic cars had unfused cigar lighters all the way up until 1967 and they were a fire waiting to happen...

Back