1956 arm rest replacement

klbirnst

klbirnst

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have very little experience with restoring a car. I worked on my own cars back in the 70's, but very little experience the last 40 years. Now I am retired, and the thunderbird is my first retirement project. I have just about finished a total re-wiring of my 56 thunderbird and am starting with the upholstery. I bought a kit from Larry's Thunderbird (55 Red/white cut for a 56). While I was in the process or removing the arm rest from the door panel the arm rest fell apart in my hands. So I ordered an arm rest and foam kit. Does anyone have any experience with attaching the foam kits to the arm rest? What glue should I use? Are there any tricks to the process?

Also, if anyone has any helpful ideas on installing the dash vinyl, I would be happy to hear your Ideas!

Thanks!
Ken

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have very little experience with restoring a car. I worked on my own cars back in the 70's, but very little experience the last 40 years. Now I am retired, and the thunderbird is my first retirement project. I have just about finished a total re-wiring of my 56 thunderbird and am starting with the upholstery. I bought a kit from Larry's Thunderbird (55 Red/white cut for a 56). While I was in the process or removing the arm rest from the door panel the arm rest fell apart in my hands. So I ordered an arm rest and foam kit. Does anyone have any experience with attaching the foam kits to the arm rest? What glue should I use? Are there any tricks to the process?

Also, if anyone has any helpful ideas on installing the dash vinyl, I would be happy to hear your Ideas!

Thanks!
Ken
I just happen to be digging into my drivers door and looking over the parts catalogs. I've seen the foam " self stick " application (Should be easy) or armrests with it already installed.

I just happen to be digging into my drivers door and looking over the parts catalogs. I've seen the foam " self stick " application (Should be easy) or armrests with it already installed.
The pads that I received are not self-adhesive. That would have been nice...

The pads that I received are not self-adhesive. That would have been nice...
A can of spray adhesive will do the job for you. I also use it to tack down my trunk liner. I wouldn't use it when you wrap the armrest except on the back gluing down the flaps.

Thanks!
Ken
some foam is preglued just place and trim...check the fit of the arm rest first i have tried 2 different ones in the past and found them not really a good replacement

some foam is preglued just place and trim...check the fit of the arm rest first i have tried 2 different ones in the past and found them not really a good replacement
Dry fitting is always a good idea like measure twice cut once. I had no issues with the last replacement other than having to be careful not to strip out the screw holes.

Back