1956 312 starting procedure after storage

MRansom
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After car has sat for 30-60 days, what is suggested starting procedure? Depress accelerator how many times to assure fuel to carburetor?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've updated your title to summarize your post from
1956 312 starting procedure to 1956 312 starting procedure after storage

After car has sat for 30-60 days, what is suggested starting procedure? Depress accelerator how many times to assure fuel to carburetor?
If the fuel has evaporated out of the carb the only way to fill it is to crank the engine. Pumping the throttle won't do anything. Set the choke by depressing the throttle once then crank the engine until it starts. I will take several seconds to get enough fuel into the carb and then to the engine. A side benefit is that cranking will bring oil though the engine before it starts, a good thing if it's been sitting for a long time.

Good advice in above response. I would add that after cranking for a short period of time and assuming the fuel bowl is either full or maybe half full, I pump the pedal a few times so that the acellerator pump will squirt some gas into the engine. It should start, if not crank it a few more seconds an pump it again. The choke will stay engaged and it should start.

Just fired up my '57 this past weekend. Followed the above suggestions. Took three cranks but it fired up nicely and idled smoothly.

How long should I let it idle before shutting down?

Need some warmer Midwest weather so I can self quarantine for about 100 miles.

I would let it idle at least until the engine comes up to normal temperature.

These old engines run very rich at idle, I run the engine at 1500 to 2000 rpm if I can’t drive it until it comes up to normal temp.
It is always best to drive it.

The best method I have found is installing a flow through electric fuel pump for priming the engine. If my car sits more than a week, it takes time for the carb to fill up. Now I turn on the pump and you can hear it slow down when the pressure is up and then I shut it off and fire up the engine. Easy install along the frame rail fuel pump. I have made this mod to several of my carbureted cars with excellent results.

Back