1955 water pump heater hose blocked off

Shoovel
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all,
Just about finished replacing my timing chain and water pump. There is 1 heater hose that connects to the water pump and the other one is blocked off, not attached to anything. I’m pretty sure the previous owner did that cause the heater core was leaking. There is no heater water valve on the engine. Right now I don’t care about heat. May tackle that in the winter, as the car will be put away by then. If someone has a pic of the location and part # for the valve, please post. I think I’m just gonna disconnect the hose and plug the water pump. Any thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

"1955 TBird" is not a summary of what your post is about. In the future posts the model year and a short summary of what your post is about. Also, we are an all Ford Thunderbird site, so you can omit the make/model of your car.

model-year.jpg

Stock valve https://www.larrystbird.com/product/heater-hot-water-valve-5557-original/. Make sure if you install a non-stock heater valve, say on the inner fender where mine is located, make sure you get a normally closed valve. Most are normally open. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY when you move the heater lever to heat you apply vacuum to open the valve 1661364218262.jpegI had to buy a few until I found the proper one. I’ll look for the part number.1661363815757.jpeg

Also since you are replacing the water pump and spacer, get the modified spacer with ramp and high output pump.
Search forum for Doug7740 conversation and document.

Last edited:
Are you trying to fix this in a proper manor or are you ok with anything that will patch it up and work without being correct? Any of the above repairs may work, but are not the correct factory original repair for the problem. The heater valve is expensive, and it threads into the intake manifold to the rear of the thermostat. It has a vacuum hose that feeds from the temperature control valve in the heater box to control the temperature of the heater. Your choice of the quality and correctness of the repair is needed. There are several band aid repair that will work but there is only one way of doing it correctly.

Are you trying to fix this in a proper manor or are you ok with anything that will patch it up and work without being correct? Any of the above repairs may work, but are not the correct factory original repair for the problem. The heater valve is expensive, and it threads into the intake manifold to the rear of the thermostat. It has a vacuum hose that feeds from the temperature control valve in the heater box to control the temperature of the heater. Your choice of the quality and correctness of the repair is needed. There are several band aid repair that will work but there is only one way of doing it correctly.
In my case I had no choice. The previous owner must have removed the original and installed the wrong valve on the fender wall to the heater control valve. Also if you are using a high-flow thermostat the tube must be shortened anyway. No one would ever know if you were using the modified spacer, it's an exact replica, just improved. That reminds me, anyone need an original spacer?

Back