1955 Transmission won't engage reverse

Larry100
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I can’t get the transmission to engage in the reverse gear in my 1955 bird. What could move cause this? Ran fine last week. No problems with other gears.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please follow the posting instructions in the future.
"Transmission Reverse" could mean anything.
modelyear.jpg

I can’t get the transmission to engage in the reverse gear in my 1955 bird. What could move cause this? Ran fine last week. No problems with other gears.
Larry, I was having a shifting problem and it was the tranny linkage, not the tranny itself. My mechanic buddy fixed in about 10 mins. If it was working well and suddenly quit it could be a simple fix. Hop it’s no in the gearbox itself. Everyone should be lucky enough to know someone who understands old school mechanics. Also, get a shop manual for 55 Ford.

Hi Larry, Don't know much about 55 trannies, but a while back I had no reverse in my 65 Bird and it turned out to be a rear band had broken, still had all forward gears. I hope your problem is not as serious.

Hi Larry, Don't know much about 55 trannies, but a while back I had no reverse in my 65 Bird and it turned out to be a rear band had broken, still had all forward gears. I hope your problem is not as serious.
Is it a manual or automatic tranny? My earlier suggestion pertains to three-speed manuals.

If your Thunderbird has a Fordomatic transmission, reverse is accomplished by hydraulically applying the rear band and the rear clutch. Since the rear band is also applied when the transmission is in low range, if the rear band was broken or if there was a fluid pressure leak at the rear servo, the transmission would not operate in low or reverse gears. Since the rear clutch is also applied in when the transmission is in high range, if there was a fluid pressure leak at the rear clutch piston, the transmission would not operate in high or reverse gears.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back