1955 Transmission oil leaking

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a transmission problem with my 55 Thunderbird. Apparently oil is collecting in the small container located at the very
bottom of the exterior of the transmission. The container is connected to the transmission with 2 bolts. The car runs okay, but I am told that oil
should not be collecting and/or leaking from the small container, Suggestions??

Oil or transmission fluid?

I have a transmission problem with my 55 Thunderbird. Apparently oil is collecting in the small container located at the very
bottom of the exterior of the transmission. The container is connected to the transmission with 2 bolts. The car runs okay, but I am told that oil
Although it is clear to you; it may help when asking these questions regarding transmissions that you preface your query with automatic or manual when referring to your transmission.

If your 1955 Thunderbird is equipped with an automatic transmission (Ford-O-Matic), it is air cooled. The small container that you are seeing the fluid leaking from is the air intake housing. When there is fluid collecting and leaking from this housing or container as you called it, that means the front pump seal is leaking. The leak will only get worse and the only way to repair it is to disassemble the transmission.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Transmission.jpg

View attachment trim1fb4a3ae-72cb-442d-acbc-d45113666d2f_sKVP4Dgi 2.mp4
If your 1955 Thunderbird is equipped with an automatic transmission (Ford-O-Matic), it is air cooled. The small container that you are seeing the fluid leaking from is the air intake housing. When there is fluid collecting and leaking from this housing or container as you called it, that means the front pump seal is leaking. The leak will only get worse and the only way to repair it is to disassemble the transmission.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 24085

I believe I’m having the same problem (leak from the air intake housing) and the leak seems to be fairly significant. It’ll drop probably once every second for a few minutes then stop. Is this what you were describing?

View attachment trim1fb4a3ae-72cb-442d-acbc-d45113666d2f_sKVP4Dgi 2.mp4

If the torque converter is original, it has a 2 piece shell bolted together by a row of bolts at the front. Between the halves is a seal ring. It has a square cross section rather than a round O ring. Those can leak. If the pump drive hub is a bolt in type, it also has a square cross section seal. Also, replace the front pump bushing, when it wears it allows the converter snout to drop and lose its seal, even if it is smooth and the seal looks good. Be very careful when you mate the converter and transmission that the drive lugs on the snout engage the pump properly or you will destroy the pump.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Converter and Front Pump.jpg

I sure looks like the front pump seal is leaking. The only way to repair it is to disassemble and overhaul the transmission. Here is a picture of a 1955 air cooled Ford-O-Matic transmission I was overhauling a few years ago. As a wise man once told me; "That's the Fun of the Hobby".

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG_3769.JPG

Could be the torque converter hub the one I have is pors and I pressure check it and it leaking through the cast iron house any one hav a extreme one for me

Without knowing the age of the tranny assume the worst, unfortunately many “restored” cars have transmissions still running on the original seals and o’rings because it was working well when restored or fixed up. 68 years is a heck of a service life to expect. The good news is the automatic transmission is easy to remove and simple to rebuild and OH kits for less than $200 can be found.

Back