1955 Thunderbird exhaust

K
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1955 Thunderbird and the exhaust exits out under the car and the bumper and rear trunk facia do not have provisions for the exhaust to exit through them. I have verified that the VIN states it is a 1955 Thunderbird built in 9/12/54. Has anyone ever seen this on a 1955 Thunderbird?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 1955 Thunderbird and the exhaust exits out under the car and the bumper and rear trunk facia do not have provisions for the exhaust to exit through them. I have verified that the VIN states it is a 1955 Thunderbird built in 9/12/54. Has anyone ever seen this on a 1955 Thunderbird?
Photo would sure help.

after 65 years I would imagine that some one just ran them under the car instead of through the trunk. which would probably be better.

Nope. I have only seen the exit through the ports in the rear trunk panel. Have your exhaust ports been removed? I recommend looking at another '55 with original exhaust plumbing to see what it should look like. good luck , J.

Attached are pictures of where the exhaust exits through the ports on my 1955 Thunderbird. The distance between the center of the ports is 35 ½ inches.

Hope these pictures help.
100_6380.JPGTail Pipe Measurement.jpgTail Pipe.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
after 65 years I would imagine that some one just ran them under the car instead of through the trunk. which would probably be better.
Many years ago, a lot more people did their own custom modifications to cars. I think a lot of those type people now work on electronics/devices instead of cars, so you don't see it done as often.

You said that you have verified the VIN and your 1955 Thunderbird was built on 9/12/54. The first Thunderbird rolled off the assembly line on 9/9/54 and went on sale on 10/22/54. That Thunderbird has VIN number P5FH100005. If you have decoded your VIN correctly, do you realize that your Thunderbird was made 3 days after the first production Thunderbird! Would you attach a photo of your VIN.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back