1955 Steering Wheel Removal

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am rebuilding the brakes in my '55 T'bird, and I can't get to the eccentric bolt where the master cylinder push rod attaches to the brake pedal arm. I am over 6 feet tall, and I can't get under the dash with the steering wheel in the way. To remove it, the shop manual says to push down on the horn ring, and turn it counterclockwise to remove the horn ring, and gain access to the nut that holds the wheel in place. Unfortunately, my horn ring cannot turn in any direction because its arms wrap around the arms on the wheel (See attached photos). How am I supposed to get the steering wheel off?

Steering Wheel 1.JPGSteering Wheel 2.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thanks for posting! Since we are exclusively a Ford Thunderbird site, you can omit the make/model of your car from future subjects. I removed it a moment ago on this post.

I am rebuilding the brakes in my '55 T'bird, and I can't get to the eccentric bolt where the master cylinder push rod attaches to the brake pedal arm. I am over 6 feet tall, and I can't get under the dash with the steering wheel in the way. To remove it, the shop manual says to push down on the horn ring, and turn it counterclockwise to remove the horn ring, and gain access to the nut that holds the wheel in place. Unfortunately, my horn ring cannot turn in any direction because its arms wrap around the arms on the wheel (See attached photos). How am I supposed to get the steering wheel off?

View attachment 24350View attachment 24351
Do a search on here it has been discussed in detail. That instruction applies only to the '57. I believe there are screws on the back of the wheel you have to remove to get the trim off.

View attachment 24350View attachment 24351
On a 55 theirs 2 small screws (phillips) that attaches the horn ring , 56 and 57's push in and turn.

The screws that are on the back of the steering wheel are Philips screws. I suggest that you try using a small mirror to look at the screw heads.

Here is a picture of the screw that holds the horn ring to the steering wheel.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BluePhillips Screw.jpg

I’m a little taller than usual and the 1956 OE wheel is difficult - I have a smaller steering wheel but I’m leary of removing the horn ring. Any tricks? I’m pretty mechanical but want to research it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the 1956 horn ring by pressing down evenly and then giving it a counter-clockwise twist.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Back