1955 Starter relay, cranks by itself, installed wrong?

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Afternoon!

Just received and installed my new starter relay. Wondering if I installed wrong? When I reconnect the battery, it starts cranking on its own.

I tried mounting like the original one, but the way the bracket sits on new relay, the top protrudes. Then I noticed “Bat” on the terminal, and assumed I need to mount upside down (which fits properly), so I did, and assumed the “Bat” connects to the negative side of the battery.

Sorry, my service manual hasn’t arrived yet, so little in the dark.

Thank you!

Attachments

• EE14A656-CD6E-48A0-8609-9FD30B347BBF.jpeg
    EE14A656-CD6E-48A0-8609-9FD30B347BBF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi The starter relay on my Tbird is different than yours. Are you sure you have the right one?
Seems to me you are missing a post. Check out my started relay in photo.

Attachments

• P1010013 (1).JPG
    P1010013 (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Posts are identical, sizing is different.

Attachments

• 32786362-72E0-4925-A42F-2A00BE3A618E.jpeg
    32786362-72E0-4925-A42F-2A00BE3A618E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Okay, I did mount correct first time, but still cranks on its own when I’m “park”. I reinstalled the original for now. I’ll call “National”, maybe they sent the wrong one?

Thanks

Last edited:
Afternoon!

Just received and installed my new starter relay. Wondering if I installed wrong? When I reconnect the battery, it starts cranking on its own.

I tried mounting like the original one, but the way the bracket sits on new relay, the top protrudes. Then I noticed “Bat” on the terminal, and assumed I need to mount upside down (which fits properly), so I did, and assumed the “Bat” connects to the negative side of the battery.

Thank you!
Looks correct but I'm not familiar with the '55s and positive ground. It sounds like the wire from the ignition switch to the small connector may be constantly hot when it should only be hot when the switch is in the start position.

Just checked NPD’s site, there’s two versions for the 1955, I must’ve ordered the wrong one. Though the one I ordered seems to favor the original, hmm. This is an easy install, must be the wrong one.

Looks like my service manual is arriving today!

Really appreciate the quick response from you guys!! l

Thanks

Attachments

• AB5694D1-F9C3-49B2-AB72-B69807AD934A.jpeg
    AB5694D1-F9C3-49B2-AB72-B69807AD934A.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Afternoon!

Thank you!
One side of the relay one the smaller terminals goes to the ignition switch in the start mode, it has no power after the ignition switch is in run mode. The ground is in the solenoid mount bracket, (I say ground but if its still 6vdc positive ground then its on the positive side of the battery). Bat does not mean Battery it means power off the key switch. CASCO had a real good wiring diagram sheet.
Normal on a 12 vdc system the points are given 12 vdc to start and a resister brings it down too ?? to run points of less voltage.

One side of the relay one the smaller terminals goes to the ignition switch in the start mode, it has no power after the ignition switch is in run mode. The ground is in the solenoid mount bracket, (I say ground but if its still 6vdc positive ground then its on the positive side of the battery). Bat does not mean Battery it means power off the key switch. CASCO had a real good wiring diagram sheet.
Normal on a 12 vdc system the points are given 12 vdc to start and a resister brings it down too ?? to run points of less voltage.
Appreciate this information, I feel a little smarter today! I did mount and wire correctly, compared to original. Ordering the other relay, not sure what the difference is besides the looks, they’re both 6V.

Just received my repro service manual today, excited over this.

Thank you!

Back