1955 shift boot is loose

sylvurhfox

sylvurhfox

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am having trouble keeping the shift boot around the shifter housing. I put the boot in place and as long as the car is not driven, it stays in place. Seems like when the car is driven the boot gets hot and comes off. Has anyone found a way to keep it in place. This for 3 speed with O/D.
Thanks for any help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here are a couple of things. I think all off us with manual transmissions have this problem to some degree. Heat is the enemy of rubber as is UV rays. Current off-shore made rubber and plastic are not as good as we have had from U.S. supplys in the past. Federal regulations have also had an effect on longevity in us of rubber and plastic. Consider the projected life of new tires compared to what you grew up with. If your boot is off, torn , or popped up you can feel the heat coming through the boot area. I have used a mild amount of adhesive to retain the boot in place. Additionally I recommend stuffing insulation int the boot before installation. The fiberglass house insulation is fine. This will mitigate the effect of heat on your boot and extend its life.

Back