1955 production question manual vs automatics

JRH

JRH

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone know how many 55's came with auto trans vs manual shift, power breaks, power windows, power steering, power seat?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The last one is easy. All 55's had power seats. It was standard equipment.

Anyone know how many 55's came with auto trans vs manual shift, power breaks, power windows, power steering, power seat?
These numbers (except for power seat) are not known, and will never be known, because about 90% of the 1955 invoices were not saved. We have to rely on observation to make good guesses. But the thing is, the cars with less equipment were also less likely to survive.

These numbers (except for power seat) are not known, and will never be known, because about 90% of the 1955 invoices were not saved. We have to rely on observation to make good guesses. But the thing is, the cars with less equipment were also less likely to survive.
And why would that be?

And why would that be?
I'm sure that was 'Toung in cheek'. LOL we all know that. I'm pretty sure that's why my car is mostly original. Few non original mechanical things but I caught a few in the process of rebuilding like the small shop I had to replace my freeze damaged engine in the first years of ownership and they left off the original spark plug heat shields and the original fuel filter, and I think they burned up the carb. as I had to replace that. A rebuilder diagnosed that.
The door cards had been recovered but the original T-Bird embossed covers were still there to my surprise but the cards were warped so I made new ones and transferred the hardware and material.
It has every option other than the power seat and I attribute that to being full featured so it was kept up with cosmetics. It is a true survivor/driver.

Back