1955 power windows and seat not working

Critterpainer

Critterpainer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a 1955 in what I believe is in excellent driver condition. I was told that the windows and seat were working, however when I test drove the car, no such luck. I have a shop manual on order already and the car will arrive on Friday. Is there a common issue or bad relay that might cause this issue? The car is still sporting a 6V system.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just bought a 1955 Bird and the power seat and windows did not work on the test drive. The seller was surprised as he said all was fine the previous day. Are there any obvious things to look for for? I don't have the car home yet, but I do have a shop manual on order. This is a positive ground 6v car.

like we have all done
get the book sit down and figure it out
these birds are getting older by the day.
you can ask the questions you want but some body(YOU)must take the door panel off, get under the dash, check out the fuses and everything that goes with a 65 year old car. get ur done.
richard working on another 57.
pictured is the seat control, PS must remove the seat.

Attachments

• SEAT CONTROL 1.JPG
    SEAT CONTROL 1.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 24
I just purchased a 1955 in what I believe is in excellent driver condition. I was told that the windows and seat were working, however when I test drove the car, no such luck. I have a shop manual on order already and the car will arrive on Friday. Is there a common issue or bad relay that might cause this issue? The car is still sporting a 6V system.
Since both the power seat and power windows worked prior to your test drive, the only thing that I can think of that is common to both is the 30 amp circuit breaker. This circuit breaker is mounted under the dash on the fire wall.

(See attached picture)

The red wire from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch powers the circuit breaker, and the black/white wire from the circuit breaker goes to both the left power window master switch and the seat control switch mounted on the left door. Since both switches are mounted on the left door, there might be a shorted wire at the door hinge area that is tripping the circuit breaker.

I also attached an article I wrote some time ago on the operation of the power windows with 6 volt positive ground system.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Circuit Breakers.jpg
    Circuit Breakers.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Power Window Operation.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 36
I just bought a 1955 Bird and the power seat and windows did not work on the test drive. The seller was surprised as he said all was fine the previous day. Are there any obvious things to look for for? I don't have the car home yet, but I do have a shop manual on order. This is a positive ground 6v car.
I’m not sure I can help inasmuch as I have a 57 12v Tbird. However, I had a similar problem with mine. On my car there are two relay boxes mounted on the fire wall (passengers side). One has 4 terminals and the other 3 terminals. The one that has 4 terminals controls the power windows and power seats. You may want to check to see if this relay is working as it should. I have a manual, but it doesn't seem to deal with this problem. I was lucky when Doug (member) suggested I look up Gil’s Garage on the internet... Where I was able to identify the problem. Hope this helps.

Just to clarify my previous comment: The relay for the power windows and power seats is on the fire wall in the engine bay on my car. Easy to get to.

Thank You! I need to drive the car and the seat is too far forward for me. Now I can do a quick check of the circuit!

Since both the power seat and power windows worked prior to your test drive, the only thing that I can think of that is common to both is the 30 amp circuit breaker. This circuit breaker is mounted under the dash on the fire wall.

(See attached picture)

The red wire from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch powers the circuit breaker, and the black/white wire from the circuit breaker goes to both the left power window master switch and the seat control switch mounted on the left door. Since both switches are mounted on the left door, there might be a shorted wire at the door hinge area that is tripping the circuit breaker.

I also attached an article I wrote some time ago on the operation of the power windows with 6 volt positive ground system.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Circuit Breakers.jpg
    Circuit Breakers.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Power Window Operation.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 13
I found the problem! One would have to look outside of the box on this one. Under the PO's ownership someone had worked on the ignition switch and attached the control wire that goes to the circuit breaker to the STARTER terminal on the ignition switch! Easy to fix and now the seat and windows are happy again (and I can fit in the car)

(See attached picture)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Hi Doug
I was reading your article regarding the function of the relay with a 6 volt system for power windows and wanted to know if you may be familiar with this relay which I currently have in my drivers side door. I am having an issue where when the relay is bypassed and the black and white wires are touched to up and down that the window operates fine, but when connected,to the switch it is intermittent and stops functioning mid way or very irregularly. I have schematics but the relay I want to make sure is connected correctly. I have the same relay that I a suspicious may be the issue. I have attached an image of this relay. I am not positive how to connect the relay which sides the wires are connected to? First image is relay existing second is the replacement, the center post of which is not used. Here is what I think is close: terminal 87 Starter Key side - Black/grounds terminal 85 +green violet and yellow wires, terminal 30 +Motor side Red/blue (Green?) terminal 86 Red and yellow violet wires. Does this sound correct? Much appreciated if you don’t mind taking a look?

Attachments

• img_9200.jpg
    img_9200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • img_9240.jpg
    img_9240.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • img_9241.jpg
    img_9241.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Martin,

On a switching relay:

Terminal 30 is the input from the battery (Constant Power)
Terminal 85 is the output (The end of winding to ground)
Terminal 86 is the input from the switch (Switch Power and the start of the winding)
Terminal 87 is the output (Normally open side)
Terminal 87a is output (Normally closed side)

That being said, I believe that for the right side window relay:

The Red/Blue wire is the input from the battery and should be connected to terminal 30
The Green wire to the window motor should be connected to terminal 87
The Green/Violet and Yellow wires should be connected to terminal 86
The Yellow/Violet and Red wires should be connected to terminal 85

I believe that for the left side window relay:

The Red/Blue wire is the input from the battery and should be connected to terminal 30
The Green wire to the window motor should be connected to terminal 87
The two Red wires should be connected to terminal 86
The two Yellow wires should be connected to terminal 85

I also attached the 1955 Ford and Thunderbird power window wiring diagram. Since the Thunderbird doesn’t have rear windows, when looking at the diagram just disregard them.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• 1955 Ford and Thunderbird Power Windows.pdf
    597.1 KB · Views: 35
I am putting my 55 6 volt back together that I have not driven in over 10 years. There are circuit breakers mounted under the dash. They are mounted on the body on the right side near where the steering wheel support is. I do not have power windows but I do have power seats.

Start at the main circuit breaker under the hood next to the starter selnoid that is 40amp. Then the other two under the drivers side steering column up high a Bit&$ to get to but I would start under the hood. That’s what I was told and had success with it thanks to some good TBird owner advice

I am putting my 55 6 volt back together that I have not driven in over 10 years. There are circuit breakers mounted under the dash. They are mounted on the body on the right side near where the steering wheel support is. I do not have power windows but I do have power seats.
If you look both of the attached wiring diagrams you will see that the circuit breakers that are mounted under the dash are used for both the power windows and the power seats. If you do not have power windows then you will have less wires connected to the circuit breakers. Looking at the attached picture of the circuit breakers that are mounted under my dash, you will see that since my 1955 Thunderbird has both power windows and power seats there are more wires attached to them.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Circuit Breakers.JPG1955-Power-Window-Wire-Diagram.jpg1955-Power-Seat-Wire-Diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Power Seat Wiring Diagram.pdf
    453 KB · Views: 18
  • Power Window Wiring Diagram.pdf
    597.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, all. I converted my 55 to 12v, but I still have 6v windows and seat. I want to install a 12v-to-6v Borg Warner reducer to slow down the closing of the windows. The reducer has a 12v input, ground, and 2 6v outputs. I'm thinking I can disconnect the yellow wire between the 40-amp circuit breaker and the circuit breakers under the dash, connect it to the 12v input on the reducer, and connect a 6v out put from the reducer to the circuit breakers under the dash. Will that work?

Can someone provide photos of the 40-amp circuit breaker on the firewall and the starter relay/solenoid as installed? Must be 55/w power windows.

Thanks!

(See attached picture)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I also have a 55 6volt system and having issues with my power windows. What side under the dash is the circuit breaker on? I can’t seem to locate them.

The circuit breakers are located towards the center of the dash behind the instrument cluster.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Circuit Breakers.jpg

Back