1955 Installing closeouts behind seats

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
sylvurhfox

sylvurhfox

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just wondering if the cardboard cut outs behind the seats on both sides are held in place with anything other than the metal tabs attached to the body?
It looks like you just push the closeouts into the space and they just stay there from pressure on both sides. Are they supposed to be glued?
Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to the curtain that is in the trunk attached to some metal tabs, that is the only thing that closes the trunk from the cockpit. No cardboard or other division piece that I am aware of. Some people (including me) have put a piece of cardboard or other material there. I mounted mine in the inside, covered it with material.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am talking about the cardboard cut outs that are behind the seat on both sides in front of the wheel well.

Not sure what you man by "closeouts" but if you are referring to the curtain that is in the trunk attached to some metal tabs, that is the only thing that closes the trunk from the cockpit. No cardboard or other division piece that I am aware of. Some people (including me) have put a piece of cardboard or other material there. I mounted mine in the inside, covered it with material.
That's an innovative solution to the drop curtain. Like the idea for those who don't have the soft top to fill the space.

Sylvurfox, I think you are talking about the quarter panel trim that goes inside, on either side, behind the seat. Or are you talking about the Masonite trunk divider that separates the trunk from the cabin, behind drop curtain, and is only found on the 55. The trunk divider is held in place by tabs and screws on the trunk side. I'll look at my quarter trim and get back to you.

Quarter panel cardboard is held in place by screws. Hill's Thunderbird's hardware kit for both sides is part # KTQP and costs $2.85.

It mounts with metal tabs and screws

This board was not used in the '56 & '57, they just use a curtain which comes as part of the trunch mat set; https://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=2A287D84DC4A4810B4310DD747DB2FDE. I like the board option so I modified it, added Dynamat and installed it in my '57.

Back