1955 Front Transmission Pump Removal

spierssn
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a pretty good oil leak out of my Fordomatic tranny. It is diagnosed as the front pump leaking. I need advice about access to the pump. Do I drop the tranny , pull the engine & tranny or can I access the pump in location. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would get a service manual on EBay if you are going to work on your old car! It's a must for anyone with an older car!

How is anyone going to know what your post is about when you title it "55 babybird.? I've updated your title to summarize what your post is about.
model-year.jpg

On a '55/'57 T-Bird the automatic transmission cannot be individually removed from the car without disassembling something significant.
A very good transmission service person familiar with the Fordomatics can disassemble (and reassemble) the transmission in place. But...
they may also decline to have you as a repeat customer.

The usual procedure is to remove the engine and transmission together... as you create a To-Do list of things to fix for putting it all back together.

Attachments

• 0720141635.jpg
    0720141635.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 7
Your transmission fluid leak could be the o-ring in the torque converter cover, the torque converter seal at the front pump or the seal in the front pump.

Don't try to repair the fluid leaks with the transmission in the car, when I rebuilt my transmision I removed the engine and transmission.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Converter and Front Pump.jpg

100_6606.JPG

Back