1955 flushing fuel system

JRH

JRH

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Whe hen I first got the car going I noticed the fuel filter glass had stuff in it. I took the paper filter out and it's a fine sandy kind of stuff white and tannish. Mu carb guy today said the carb had sand in it. My question is whats the best method to flush from carb tube to tank? And should I take the tank and pump out and flush also? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Take the tank out. Raditor shops usually can clean the tank but you can do this as well.. This is the only way your going to get all the junk out. Carb should be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned. If it's the usual Tbird filter, just remove the glass bowl and clean it out, blowing air through it and install a new filter element.. As for the lines, a pressure water hose inserted into the line should clear out any junk. Then Blow out to make sure no water in there.

Take the tank out. Raditor shops usually can clean the tank but you can do this as well.. This is the only way your going to get all the junk out. Carb should be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned. If it's the usual Tbird filter, just remove the glass bowl and clean it out, blowing air through it and install a new filter element.. As for the lines, a pressure water hose inserted into the line should clear out any junk. Then Blow out to make sure no water in there.
Got a friend completely doing the carb with a overhaul kit. Good advice thanks.

Well that could work but that is the beauty of the glass bowl fuel filters, any water in the system will drop to the bottom of the bowl where you can see it. Industrial air compressors use the same type of system as they are prone to getting moisture in the lines.

@paul5456 has the correct way to do it…. Many decades ago when I got into 4 wheelin’ I read about the 90% method and the 100% method…. If you’re going to put the effort out there, might as well do the one that is going to get the end result you’re looking for. In this case, the Ford Bronco was hopelessly stuck… he thought I would just pull him out. But digging and working a bit more the reduce resistance was the better technique, this worked in 8 seconds. @Ward 57 …that’s my land cruiser in 1975…haha

OR, we could have both spent another hour with less than stellar results.
7C0CE6AA-6B86-46AE-82B4-DD66E183305A.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that could work but that is the beauty of the glass bowl fuel filters, any water in the system will drop to the bottom of the bowl where you can see it. Industrial air compressors use the same type of system as they are prone to getting moisture in the lines.
This morning went to the local Advance crossed the napa fuel filter (3035) got 2 more coming Monday. Anyway he said the sandy stuff is varnish I never knew varnish would turn to a gritty junk. Car sat for years 10+ had a spare filter one installed and one in the package in the glove box. Now I'll have 2 more in the glove box.

Whe hen I first got the car going I noticed the fuel filter glass had stuff in it. I took the paper filter out and it's a fine sandy kind of stuff white and tannish. Mu carb guy today said the carb had sand in it. My question is whats the best method to flush from carb tube to tank? And should I take the tank and pump out and flush also? Thanks in advance.
Update on the fuel tank: Took the tank out today, drained the tank (of course) from what I can see the tank had no rust took 1/2 gal at a time swished it around drained. Did this several timed 1/2 dozen or so. Got the goodies out lots of junk and water even a large fly. Can't figure out how a fly got in there but there he was. Tomorrow install the fuel filter (new again) carb (over hauled) and fire it up. Then start tweaking the adjustments.

Back