1955 Flaking paint

David Levitt

David Levitt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
As shown in picture, there is a about a 1 foot square area of flaking paint the on my '55 Tbird. There are no problems with the finish on the rest of the car. (About a 25 year old restoration). Is there anything I can do to keep this flaking area from getting worse? I am looking for an inexpensive fix.flaking paint.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Had a similar scenario on my 57, same area, not quite that bad. Had a partial repaint done, just the top area from the cockpit to the back of the trunk. Took all the trim and hdw off, they blended at the top of the fins and stopped at the door seam. Is it perfect? Nope but it is a million percent better than it was and WAY cheaper than a complete repaint. You really have to know what’s been done to see the blend line at the top of the find.
By the way, the car is not a show queen she’s a fine driver and I love it that way

As shown in picture, there is a about a 1 foot square area of flaking paint the on my '55 Tbird. There are no problems with the finish on the rest of the car. (About a 25 year old restoration). Is there anything I can do to keep this flaking area from getting worse? I am looking for an inexpensive fix.View attachment 18803
My Guess is that there is bondo under that paint and it's delaminating
MOST LIKELY BAD SURFACE PREP

Back