1955 firewall cover install

Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My interior is completely stripped. I am going to install heat shield and then the firewall cover.

I am wondering if there is anything that gets installed first, under the cover, or does the cover get installed first and then there is room to install all wiring through grommets, heater, brakes, steering...?

Replacing firewall cover
Author: Dan Deane
Year: 1976
Issue: Sep/Oct
Page: 42

I am hoping that someone with experience will give practical insights, that's what this forum is all about.

You will find it easier to install parts through the appropriate holes and slot with the insulation already in place instead of trying to install the insulation around parts in place.

How about carpet. Will that go in last - or after the insulation but before the firewall cover?

carpet last. only needs minor fitting around installed
parts.

Steering column, brake pedal support, heater box is used to help locate the cover... My question is there anything that is mounted or routed under the cover?

To anyone out there that has installed a firewall cover on an Early-Bird. Is there anything that is mounted or routed under the firewall cover or any other tips or observations?

Thanks!

Brent

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced mine on my 57, I used the 2 piece that CASCO offers because I am not doing a complete restoration.
Mine was disintegrating,
I did put a layer of foil backed sticky insulation on the firewall prior to installing the factory insulation.
I used the original style push pins also purchased from CASCO.
To get the drivers side on I had to cut a slot in the top to facilitate installing around the steering column, wire bundles and brake cable.
I also had to use a few bad words to help with the installation.

To be in place before firewall cover installation: Seal and retaining plate for Steering Column, Cover Hand Brake opening (easily overlooked) and wire harness to rear.

DSCN0567.JPGDSCN9876.JPG

I am putting on firewall cover on my 55 also, (column and dash are out )before putting in new wire harness.
I put in the sticky deadner on the floor but on the fence about covering the fire wall with it.
Not sure how the firewall cover i purchased goes on but will try to figure it out today. I have new pins but that is the end of my knowledge.
Anyone have any lessons learned ?

20201207_152301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Max888, I have not had time to do the cover install, I have been thinking about it though. It appears that you can hang the covers from the top pins which would allow wires and everything else to be installed behind and then finish securing the cover when everything is in place.

Please share your experiences and great luck to you.

Back