1955 Backup lights not working

• Thread starter Skip from the Vineyard
  • Start date
Skip from the Vineyard

Skip from the Vineyard

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My backup lights don’t come on. How do they work? Is there a toggle switch for it or are they supposed to come on when you shift it into reverse?

Ist check to be sure the switch is activated when in reverse. (,check linkage) the headlights must also be on for the backup lights to be on. Reverse. Lights on

The switch is under the shifter in the transmission tunnel. Mine doesn’t have bu lights but I had to adjust the switch because I had to giggle the shifter in neutral to start it.

You have to get under the car. The switch is tucked up on the shifter side (drivers side) of the transmission tunnel.

In terms of "getting to the switch" it depends on why you want to get to it. If you are doing it to replace the switch the only way you can get to the wiring connections is from inside the car under the carpet. If you are wanting to adjust it that can be done from under the car if you can work in the confined space.

To check the backup light wiring, all the connectors are above the floor under the carpet.
If the engine is starting properly, ie; in neutral only,
There should be no reason to adjust it.

My backup lights don’t come on. How do they work? Is there a toggle switch for it or are they supposed to come on when you shift it into reverse?
From what I have read, you have to have your lights on and shifting into reverse. Here is a link to another similar thread.

Before I go for a drive I leave the garage door down so I can check the reflections off it. Breaks, turn signals back up lights etc. .

No updates or answers from the OP?

First things first...weren't backup lights *optional* in 1956? And he never answered if they *ever* worked on his car in the first place.

All the other stuff could be irrelevant if the car doesn't even *have* BU lights in the first place.

First things first...weren't backup lights *optional* in 1956? And he never answered if they *ever* worked on his car in the first place.

All the other stuff could be irrelevant if the car doesn't even *have* BU lights in the first place.
I think back up lights were an option on all 3 years although towards the end of production almost all the orders included them. A lot of the 55's had just a reflector plate in place. I've seen several '57s without them also.

Good point! Is he the original owner? Did a prior owner just put in bu lights for looks or had to replace one or both and substituted parts?

Last edited:
Looks like maybe Skip, skipped down the road

Back