1955 Air Cleaner Options

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Im not a fan of the original oil bath air filters.
I understand there's a top cover that can be purchased and used with a dry element.
However, as I stated earlier, I'm not a fan of that look. I would like something that would show off the rarely seen Teapot.
Is anyone using or seen a newer or cooler looking air cleaner for the Holley 4000?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Im not a fan of the original oil bath air filters.
I understand there's a top cover that can be purchased and used with a dry element.
However, as I stated earlier, I'm not a fan of that look. I would like something that would show off the rarely seen Teapot.
Is anyone using or seen a newer or cooler looking air cleaner for the Holley 4000?
I agree with you please let us know if you fine something. I’ll do the same

I agree with you please let us know if you fine something. I’ll do the same
There's a couple of options that seem to measure the correct distances, but ive yet to see how they look or pull the trigger.

Can someone post a picture of what the air filter looks like with oil in it?

In order to "show off" the Teapot carburetor, you won't want to use an air cleaner with a drop base. Unfortunately, if you do not use an air cleaner/w drop base, you will have hood clearance issues if you use anything other than paper gaskets between the carburetor base and intake manifold; in which case, vapor lock could be a problem.

I bought a beautiful, 14-inch cast-aluminum oval air cleaner from Billet Industries. Oval air cleaners aren't available/w drop base. It really shows off the Holley Street Avenger carburetor, but it will not accommodate a carb spacer. If you experiment by trying to use a filter element that's less than 2-inches tall, there might be insufficient space between the lid and carburetor. A shorter element might also restrict air flow. For these reasons, I ended up buying A $29 Summit 14-inch round air cleaner/w drop base and 3-inch tall element. The drop base will allow enough hood clearance to use a 1/2-inch carburetor spacer.

By the way, every modern 4-bbl carburetor I looked at is 3.25" tall, from the carburetor base plate to the air-cleaner mounting surface/air horn. Although I haven't measured the Teapot, I don't think it's shorter (but it could be taller). If it's not convenient for you to measure yours, let me know; I'll measure mine.

There's a couple of options that seem to measure the correct distances, but ive yet to see how they look or pull the trigger.
Ok........this was many years ago, so I will try to remember, I also did not like the oil bath filter.......so I removed all the oil, cleaned out everything and purchased a, I think, filter that was a fine mesh type of "foam" cut a strip that was long enough, and wide enough to encircle the inside of the chrome cover, used a small piece of tape to hold it together... very lightly oiled it and then lightly forced it into place. I drove my "55 like this for about 30 years with no problems.......I just re-read the above.....hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me!!!!

It's possible that the fuel line between the pump and carburetor will have to be modified/replaced, if you install an aftermarket air cleaner, due to clearance issues.

Ok........this was many years ago, so I will try to remember, I also did not like the oil bath filter.......so I removed all the oil, cleaned out everything and purchased a, I think, filter that was a fine mesh type of "foam" cut a strip that was long enough, and wide enough to encircle the inside of the chrome cover, used a small piece of tape to hold it together... very lightly oiled it and then lightly forced it into place. I drove my "55 like this for about 30 years with no problems.......I just re-read the above.....hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me!!!!
Very innovative. Great idea.

I still use the oil bath. Not really a problem to clean it out once a year. heard that they were more efficient than a paper filter ???

I still use the oil bath. Not really a problem to clean it out once a year. heard that they were more efficient than a paper filter ???
It's debatable as there are a few threads on here on the subject. If it works why try to fix it?

Back