1955 adding lead additive to fuel

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is it recommended to add lead additive to the fuel tank in vintage cars built beforew 1975?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have been told that it is not necessary
If you are racing your car then maybe
I don’t run it in mine and have not seen any issues

There was a big uproar when the lead was phased out, especially among the old car hobby. It turns out that it was a non event for the most part for a number of reasons, one being the fact that hobby cars were used so little that it make almost no difference. If you are worried about this, get the heads redone with hardened exhaust valve seats. Do they even sell a lead additive any more ?

I think real lead has been illegal for many years.
Regular gas is fine.
Ralph

Last edited by a moderator:
the currently touted additive is ZDDP. Please do not ask what it stands for. It appears that it adds zinc and it is added to the oil in the crankcase.
I have to say that I am not a true believer in the "need" for hardened valve seats. I have been driving our '57 for well over 25 years without apparent damage. I believe that most collector cars are not driven so hard as to need hardened valve seats. I would have them installed if doing a valve job but I ma not making a special effort to have new seats installed at this time. Again I do not appear to have suffered any ill effects by not adding any "mouse milk" to the fuel. I use Shell oil used for diesel engine lubrication and on occasion I add a Rislone, or STP zinc additive to the oil at oil changes.
YMMV. good luck to all.

What I have consider doing is adding about 1 oz of light oil (like ATF) to gasoline to lightly lubricate valves, seats, etc. Some old Mercedes Benz owners do that and no issues. I will do this with my Y 292 after I fix other carburetor problems...
My shop recommends Sea Foam gas treatment. It's specifically formulated for that and also acts as a fuel stabilizer and moisture control.

Quite interesting... not found here (unfortunatelly)..
There are other reputable products out there. I'm sure some will chime in with their favorites but many are only available regionally. The old school may work better than nothing when nothing else is available but look for the engineered stuff.

I don’t use a lead additive for my ‘57. Mine happens to have hardened seats that were done when the prior owner was having the engine rebuilt anyway. But even if that weren’t the case, I’ve become convinced by the consensus among folks much more knowledgeable than I (including several reputable classic car dealers and several individuals who own classic cars far more expensive than my ‘57) that neither hardened seats nor a lead additive are strictly necessary unless routinely driving under hard conditions. (Of course, if work is being done on the engine anyway, then by all means add hardened seats for peace of mind).

I do, however, (1) only use ethanol-free gas and (2) add the recommended amount of Seafoam to every tank of gas.

Back