1955 6v Headlights too dim

R

radar

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, all,
I’ve got a 1955 TBird still on the 6V system. I don’t want to change it, but I do want to find a way to keep the original look of the headlights and taillights and increase the brightness/intensity of the output.
Ideally there would be an LED replacement set but I can’t find a 6v one.
I appreciate any help or recommendations.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi, all,
I’ve got a 1955 TBird still on the 6V system. I don’t want to change it, but I do want to find a way to keep the original look of the headlights and taillights and increase the brightness/intensity of the output.
Ideally there would be an LED replacement set but I can’t find a 6v one.
I appreciate any help or recommendations.
Thanks

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I've seen this question before. Apparently LED headlight are not street legal. Halogens are the way to go. It could be someone installed 12v headlights instead of 6v. For the tail lights and front turn signal lights I lined the reflectors with aluminum foil and they are much brighter. The tail light reflectors are cadmium plated instead of chrome or nickel and don't reflect that much light.

Remember that the wiring and wiring connections are now pushing 70 years old. The original 6 volt bulbs were certainly bright enough with good wiring and connections. There is a wiring connection block on the inner fender near the front of the car. That connection block feeds the headlights (among other things). Remove the wires using a needle nose pliers (pulling on them may separate the wire from the terminal) and then clean the bullet and se a small terminal brush to clean the inside connection. The ground for the headlights is also attached to the screws that hold that block onto the inner fender. remove those screws and clean the ground wire and the sheet metal around where the ground seats.

If you find that both the left and the right indicator lights glow when you use your signals, that is an indication of a poor ground. There is a ground wire near the taillights that also is important in this circuit. Clean that ground and the connectors at the taillights.

Look at the surface of your taillight reflectors. if it is corroded or no longer shiny, you can have them replated or use a good metal polish to restore the shine. There is no one answer that is going to solve this problem, as it could be several things in the chain.
Also any time you work with the connections please use di-electric grease on all of the connections and grounds. It will enhance the connection and prevent any corrosion in the future. I tried polishing my reflectors but cadmium will not polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that the wiring and wiring connections are now pushing 70 years old. The original 6 volt bulbs were certainly bright enough with good wiring and connections. There is a wiring connection block on the inner fender near the front of the car. That connection block feeds the headlights (among other things). Remove the wires using a needle nose pliers (pulling on them may separate the wire from the terminal) and then clean the bullet and se a small terminal brush to clean the inside connection. The ground for the headlights is also attached to the screws that hold that block onto the inner fender. remove those screws and clean the ground wire and the sheet metal around where the ground seats.

If you find that both the left and the right indicator lights glow when you use your signals, that is an indication of a poor ground. There is a ground wire near the taillights that also is important in this circuit. Clean that ground and the connectors at the taillights.

Look at the surface of your taillight reflectors. if it is corroded or no longer shiny, you can have them replated or use a good metal polish to restore the shine. There is no one answer that is going to solve this problem, as it could be several things in the chain.

That's good info.
The car was frame off restored to very good driver quality including replacing all wiring.
The headlights were also replaced and the car has had about 10,000 miles since restoration.
99% of that driving was daytime.
If I replace Headlights & Taillights, IS there a viable 6V LED option? Do I have to also replace the headlight switch? IS it there a good choice for a High output or Halogen 6V replacement? Headlight and Taillights same questions.
Thanks

If I replace Headlights &IS there a viable 6V LED option?
Also, should be DOT approved to be legal with many local/state/federal laws. If you put an LED bulb in a halogen housing and you are involved in an accident, you could be held responsible for the accident if the other party can demonstrate you blinded them.

If you do go LED
you must find one that will project the light
many of the LEDs are very bright but don’t project a beam of light
take your time do your research and be selective
I also agree with ward about checking with the major Tbird restorers.
my personal experience with LEDs is they draw much less current
But I haven’t switched my bird to LED headlights yet

Back