1955 6 volt starting improvement accomplished.

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. I'm a new owner of a partly done project. After reading all I could about 12 volt conversions, I decided to stay with the original style 6 volt system. step 1, new Optima battery with the best CCA I could find. Better cranking but still way too slow. Step 2 Replace fairly new 12 volt battery cables with new custom made 00/02AWG cables. Better but still not good enough cranking performance. Step 3, replaced the solenoid to starter orig 6 volt cable with a new 00/02AWG cable. Despite a good ohm reading on the old cable, the new extra heavy cable made a world of difference. It turns over better than any 6 volt system I've seen in ages. Hope this helps others keep 'em cranking.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Larger gauge 6vdc cables are definitely an improvement!

Voltage and current are inversely proportionate… so a 6v system will have double the current of a 12v system but not turn as fast.. you can hook 12v to a 6v system.. you just have to worry about the current load causing excess heat.. just some random theory lol

I am going to do the same on my 6v ‘55!
I also have an Optmia battery, so I am looking forward to the upgrade! Thanks for the update.

My friend and I both have a 6 volt Optima batteries our 1955 Thunderbirds, but to make the battery more period correct we bought this battery cloaking devise off of eBay.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

My friend and I both have a 6 volt Optima batteries our 1955 Thunderbirds, but to make the battery more period correct we bought this battery cloaking devise off of eBay.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 31117

View attachment 31118
Are those the stock battery cables? I’d like replace mine with 00 gauge. Is there a place that makes pre-made 00 gauge replacement cables or should I have them custom made?

I feel like they sell premade ones… maybe check electrical wholesalers if you have them around.. should be able to source some from somewhere.. you just need to verify the Lug bolt hole size

Yeah I have a local battery shop that can make them. It’s hard to tell the gauge on the existing cables. Yes I have had to add a lead wrap on the negative terminal to achieve a tight fit with the current cables.

Back