1955 292 valley cover torque spec

JRH

JRH

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any info on the torque specs for the valley cover on a 292 1955. The shop manual doesn't even mention it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post to the forums, your subject should summarize your post. "1955 292 valley cover" could mean anything.

Revised.

You need to go old school. The size of bolt, and the grade of bolt. There's a spec for that.
Or just make it comfortably tight. Don't overdo it, like a valve cover.

Any info on the torque specs for the valley cover on a 292 1955. The shop manual doesn't even mention it.
Valley Pan Installation

I torque mine to 20 inch pounds with perfect results. Over tightening of the 2 bolts will bend the cover and cause leaks. I torque the draft tube to 20 inch pounds as well.

The valley pan will just clear and can be pulled without removing the heads. It does have to kind of wiggle and one side will go down then the other but it does go. When I did mine, I sprayed one side of the gasket with hi-tack then set it on the block to help keep it in place until the valley pan was on and torqued.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Valley Pan Installation

I torque mine to 20 inch pounds with perfect results. Over tightening of the 2 bolts will bend the cover and cause leaks. I torque the draft tube to 20 inch pounds as well.

The valley pan will just clear and can be pulled without removing the heads. It does have to kind of wiggle and one side will go down then the other but it does go. When I did mine, I sprayed one side of the gasket with hi-tack then set it on the block to help keep it in place until the valley pan was on and torqued.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Mine has been weeping oil and I figured the intake would have to be removed in order to get to it.
Thanks for the info Doug!

Back