1955-1957 DIY start in park switch

Dennis Williams

Dennis Williams

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Baby Bird start in park for $5.00.
I figured there would be a way to rig up a switch to be able to start my 57 Thunderbird in Park and it was way easier than expected.
I obtained a switch, often used in alarms etc for less than $5.00 and with other stuff I had lying around got it working as in the photos.
The wiring is attached to the existing terminals /wires coming out of the OEM switch. Make sure you have the start circuit and not the reverse light circuit.
Dennis, Brisbane, Australia
T Bar 1.jpgT Bar 2.jpgT Bar 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On your future posts include the 4 digit model year(s) and a summary of your post. Your title "Baby Bird start" has been updated.

A manual transmission is, in itself, an effective anti-theft feature. I feel the 'start in Neutral' feature works similarly for my AT.

I agree with Docj as not everyone knows that this vehicle needs to be in neutral to start. In addition, the shift knob manipulation also give me a sense of security for those that know that little trick!

You can purchase switches that start both in park and neutral from the parts vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the baby birds to start the car, You need to sift to N neutral to start the car.....

That's correct, but sometimes you may need to juggle the shifter a tad for it to make the connection.

If you need to jiggle the shifter a tad then the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. The photo below shows the shifter with the neutral safety switch installed. The mounting bracket for the switch is part of the shifter mechanism. The holes on the switch bracket are slotted to accommodate the switch adjustment to shifter detents.

Switch.jpg

Proper adjustment of the switch can be accomplished by placing the shifter in the neutral detent position, slide the switch forward or aft to locate the start in neutral position.

Caution: As a safety precaution it is advisable to have the rear wheels off the ground and the vehicle properly supported when checking the various shifter positions.

Once the start in neutral position is located, tighten the screws to lock the switch in position. Check all of the shifter positions to insure it will not start in other gear selections.

Caution: When checking selected positions apply the brakes as a safety precaution.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back