‘65 Electrical Issue. Voltage regulator?

Farmer Pete

Farmer Pete

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello. So my ‘65 overall is in great condition. All gauges seem to work fine under normal conditions. However, when I turn on the headlights the dashboard lights flicker and the amp gauge goes bonkers. Any suggestions? Faulty voltage regulator? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello. So my ‘65 overall is in great condition. All gauges seem to work fine under normal conditions. However, when I turn on the headlights the dashboard lights flicker and the amp gauge goes bonkers. Any suggestions? Faulty voltage regulator? Thanks in advance.
Good Day Farmer Pete, Question before answering: Does the lights start flickering as soon as you turn them on or after driving awhile? Most likely voltage Regulator. When I received my 64 Thunderbird two years ago, my headlights would start turning itself off then on like in the movie Christine. In my case, besides placing out the Voltage regulator, I also had to put in a new dimmer switch, and cleaned the contacts on my headlight switch. Now everything works dandy. Good Luck, Dj-Dan (Forest Hill, Md)

Good Day Farmer Pete, Question before answering: Does the lights start flickering as soon as you turn them on or after driving awhile? Most likely voltage Regulator. When I received my 64 Thunderbird two years ago, my headlights would start turning itself off then on like in the movie Christine. In my case, besides placing out the Voltage regulator, I also had to put in a new dimmer switch, and cleaned the contacts on my headlight switch. Now everything works dandy. Good Luck, Dj-Dan (Forest Hill, Md)
DJ - It starts as soon as I turn the headlights on. Just the parking lights alone don’t cause any issues, it’s only when the headlights are on.

DJ - It starts as soon as I turn the headlights on. Just the parking lights alone don’t cause any issues, it’s only when the headlights are on.
It's easier to try a new voltage regulator. They are pretty reasonable at any parts store. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

The flickering of the lights is probably due to a dirty rheostat and your light switch. Just keep turning it left and right several times to help clean the rheostat. As far as the amp gauge jumping around, that’s pretty common. Make sure your dimmer switch is good and clean and tighten up the gauge. You might have to pull the gauge out to tighten the wires. Make sure you disconnect your battery first

Back