Survey 2002-2005 Coolant Temperature gauge readings via OBDII

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
If you have an OBDII reader and an app like Torque (Andoid Download) (Apple Download), post your coolant temperature after the engine is running a while. Also note, the ambient temperature and model year of your car. Below is a short video that shows you how to make a screen with the Ambient and Engine Coolant temperatures in the Torque app. Feel free to share screenshots of your app results and/or type them out. Only post your OBDII readings below, not gauge readings or cooling questions, etc.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2004- Ambient- 85 degrees. Coolant temperature- 235

Ambient Temp: 82
Coolant Temp: 212-214
After highway and city driving.

Two years ago I ran a scan on my 2004 TB in the driveway after 1-hour drive, at the start the temps were
ECT(°F) 217.40 Engine Coolant Temp.
RPM(rpm) 676.00
IAT(°F) 125.60 Intake Air temp.

The last of the tests temps were;
ECT(°F) 224.60
RPM(rpm) 1613.00
IAT(°F) 152.60

2004 TB Ambient temp. 75 degrees (F)
ECT in park at idle with A/C on 210 F.
ECT in park at idle with a/c off it goes to 226 F. then the cooling fan kicks in.
As soon as the temperature reaches 195 F to 200 F the dummy gage needle is in the middle and that is were it stays.
The 210 F does not worried me but the 226 F does, that is boarder line to overheating.
I was looking at a lower temp. thermostat and resetting the fans with a tune but I don't think they make a low temp. thermostat.
I will see what I come up with, to many plastic parts in this cooling system to be running so hot.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: wil
So, after doing my electric fan conversion on my ‘02, at idle , outside temperature upper 80’s, I’m at 205 degrees, highest I’ve seen it go up, outside temp upper 90’s , a/c on, I’m at 210 degrees. Got new factory coolant, new factory thermostat, flex a lite electric fan and fan speed controller,

And by the way, the 210 degrees is also cruising on the hiway dong 85 mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Back