Source for 2002 hydraulic pump solenoid

Delmily

Delmily

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After replacing the thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and taking great care to bleed the system we are still having the well known and documented overheating problems. Two mechanics and many on the forums point to the solenoid as the culprit. That said, we have had no luck finding this part. Our mechanic thought he had found a pump bundled with the solenoid but upon arrival there was no solenoid. Have searched eBay, Rock Auto and mechanics have checked with all their normal sources and nada. Anyone out there selling one or know of a source?

Many thanks!!!!

MODERATOR NOTE- This was posted months ago- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...c-fan-pump-actuator-solenoid-xw4z3783ca.9518/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You could check salvage yards or maybe it’s time to remove the hydraulic fan system and install a electric Flex-a-Lite 183 system. The fan Schroeder fits the TBird radiator and pulls plenty of cfm. It also pulls only 18 amps and has a variable controller that starts the fan at a mid speed setting and ramps up as the engine warms.

I really like the idea of replacing the hydraulic with electric. I've been through all the forums on the subject and saw one of your previous posts on the Flex-a-lite. My problem is that I don't have time to do it myself and I'll be dependent on a local mechanic. If there were a complete "system" per se with step by step instructions I would definitely pull the trigger on the idea. Another post recommended using 03 components which seems to make sense but the author of that post is nearly impossible to understand. Thanks for your insights and if you have a link or other info on the Flex-A-Lite approach I'd love to have the info.

Here is a new one, sure there is more.

$350 large. Wow that part is valuable! I noted on the listing it states for Lincoln LS ONLY. Good for the 02 T Bird as well?

You could check salvage yards or maybe it’s time to remove the hydraulic fan system and install a electric Flex-a-Lite 183 system. The fan Schroeder fits the TBird radiator and pulls plenty of cfm. It also pulls only 18 amps and has a variable controller that starts the fan at a mid speed setting and ramps up as the engine warms.

I really like the idea of replacing the hydraulic with electric. I've been through all the forums on the subject and saw one of your previous posts on the Flex-a-lite. My problem is that I don't have time to do it myself and I'll be dependent on a local mechanic. If there were a complete "system" per se with step by step instructions I would definitely pull the trigger on the idea. Another post recommended using 03 components which seems to make sense but the author of that post is nearly impossible to understand. Thanks for your insights and if you have a link or other info on the Flex-A-Lite approach I'd love to have the info. Since you posted another member sent a link for an actuator which I assume is the same part. At $350 it's making an electric conversion even more attractive.

Last edited:
It fits the Thunderbird as noted in the listing. There was a seller who had many of them, but they sold out and the price went up. FYI the last one sold for 450.00!
View attachment 13247
It was what was noted further in the listing but I'm sure you know better than I. Thanks for your help.Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.48.30 AM.png

@Delmily You could send the seller an offer and note this listing above and say they sell for 235.00

The part is definitely the right one.

Use our link to purchase as it supports the forum at no cost to you-https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=LINCOLN+LS+HYDRAULIC+COOLING+FAN+PUMP+SENSOR&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Last edited:
After replacing the thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and taking great care to bleed the system we are still having the well known and documented overheating problems. Two mechanics and many on the forums point to the solenoid as the culprit. That said, we have had no luck finding this part. Our mechanic thought he had found a pump bundled with the solenoid but upon arrival there was no solenoid. Have searched eBay, Rock Auto and mechanics have checked with all their normal sources and nada. Anyone out there selling one or know of a source?

Many thanks!!!!

MODERATOR NOTE- This was posted months ago- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...c-fan-pump-actuator-solenoid-xw4z3783ca.9518/
After replacing my 2003 thermostat housing, wow what a terrible job, and installing a brand new thermostat and coolant, my overheating was still severe, tried bleeding, etc. to no avail. Finally I replaced the brand new thermostat with the old one and everything was fine, so I don’t want to point anyone in the wrong direction but it may be best to only use an oem thermostat and not an aftermarket. Good luck. RH, Jupiter, Fl

The actuator from a 2000 to 2002 Lincoln LS is the same and will fit a 2002 T Bird. I bought a used one a year or so ago
to help a friend fix the overheating issue on their 2002 T Bird, and it fit and worked fine.

I did purchase two used actuators many months ago for about $90 each. Tested them and they both worked great, saving
them for when my two Birds need them.

One thing I learned decades ago, is when a car overheats the first thing you do is remove the thermostat, and use the car
with no thermostat. That helps you figure out the problem much quicker.

I really like the idea of replacing the hydraulic with electric. I've been through all the forums on the subject and saw one of your previous posts on the Flex-a-lite. My problem is that I don't have time to do it myself and I'll be dependent on a local mechanic. If there were a complete "system" per se with step by step instructions I would definitely pull the trigger on the idea. Another post recommended using 03 components which seems to make sense but the author of that post is nearly impossible to understand. Thanks for your insights and if you have a link or other info on the Flex-A-Lite approach I'd love to have the info.

$350 large. Wow that part is valuable! I noted on the listing it states for Lincoln LS ONLY. Good for the 02 T Bird as well?

I really like the idea of replacing the hydraulic with electric. I've been through all the forums on the subject and saw one of your previous posts on the Flex-a-lite. My problem is that I don't have time to do it myself and I'll be dependent on a local mechanic. If there were a complete "system" per se with step by step instructions I would definitely pull the trigger on the idea. Another post recommended using 03 components which seems to make sense but the author of that post is nearly impossible to understand. Thanks for your insights and if you have a link or other info on the Flex-A-Lite approach I'd love to have the info. Since you posted another member sent a link for an actuator which I assume is the same part. At $350 it's making an electric conversion even more attractive.
I’ve seen the 03 post too, and the thing that caught my attention there was that if you do this the high amp draw of the factory electric fans requires a alternator upgrade but the 02 pcm limits the amps the alternator can produce which negates the upgrade. Not sure if the 03 pcm is otherwise the same but here again there is the extra cost. I will be doing the Flex-a-Lite 183 conversation this fall when the TBird gets put away for the winter. I’m a mechanic and find the instructions here on the forum perfectly adequate. The kit comes with mount brackets, wiring, fuse block, temp sensor, and variable controller. It does not rely on pcm sensor input. One thing I am researching further is that when you remove the hydraulic fan pump and lines, the fluid moves thru a oil cooler and most have simply blocked that section on the oil cooler off. I plan to reroute lines and use that now unused cooler for additional transmission fluid cooling.
I plan to document the conversation and provide step by step instruction with pictures and put them on the forum but won’t be doing this till October at least as the TBird is going in for repaint first.

Tha
The actuator from a 2000 to 2002 Lincoln LS is the same and will fit a 2002 T Bird. I bought a used one a year or so ago
to help a friend fix the overheating issue on their 2002 T Bird, and it fit and worked fine.

I did purchase two used actuators many months ago for about $90 each. Tested them and they both worked great, saving

One thing I learned decades ago, is when a car overheats the first thing you do is remove the thermostat, and use the car
ness

Thanks for the insights. Thanks to @biddle I was able to purchase (2) of them yesterday on Ebay. I can tell you with certainty that you won't find them for $90 anymore so you were smart to buy two!!!

I’ve seen the 03 post too, and the thing that caught my attention there was that if you do this the high amp draw of the factory electric fans requires a alternator upgrade but the 02 pcm limits the amps the alternator can produce which negates the upgrade. Not sure if the 03 pcm is otherwise the same but here again there is the extra cost. I will be doing the Flex-a-Lite 183 conversation this fall when the TBird gets put away for the winter. I’m a mechanic and find the instructions here on the forum perfectly adequate. The kit comes with mount brackets, wiring, fuse block, temp sensor, and variable controller. It does not rely on pcm sensor input. One thing I am researching further is that when you remove the hydraulic fan pump and lines, the fluid moves thru a oil cooler and most have simply blocked that section on the oil cooler off. I plan to reroute lines and use that now unused cooler for additional transmission fluid cooling.
I plan to document the conversation and provide step by step instruction with pictures and put them on the forum but won’t be doing this till October at least as the TBird is going in for repaint first.
Fantastic!! I was able to buy (2) actuators on eBay yesterday so I'm moving forward with a traditional repair. That said I'll definitely be watching for your post because your approach is probably the ultimate answer for this ongoing issue. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone (especially @biddle) who pointed me to the actuator on eBay. I purchased both of them because this part is becoming increasingly difficult to find and the price is skyrocketing. I also purchased the aluminum Jaquar thermostat housing (easy to find and inexpensive) and will replace that while in there. Wish me luck. Will keep you posted.

Back