Cruise Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
Has anyone had any problems with their cruise control on a 2002. All the buttons cause the car to accelerate and the only way to cancel is to tap brake.
Could it be switch ($40) or in computer?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone had any problems with their cruise control on a 2002. All the buttons cause the car to accelerate and the only way to cancel is to tap brake.
Could it be switch ($40) or in computer?

My guess is the "clock spring" in the steering wheel...

Same Problem

I have an 2002 with 60k miles and my cruise control is flaky. Sometimes it will not turn on. Other times it will not decelerate. Sometimes the buttons operate in reverse - ie acelerates when decelerate button pushed. I have not explored any fixes.

Same Problem

I have an 2002 with 60k miles and my cruise control is flaky. Sometimes it will not turn on. Other times it will not decelerate. Sometimes the buttons operate in reverse - ie acelerates when decelerate button pushed. I have not explored any fixes.

I agree with Quickdraw, for both of you

The cruise control switch on my 2002 is inop! No light on the dash display. First thought was to check the fuse but to my embarrassment I can't find cruise control listed on the various fuse block diagrams. Don't want to have to pull the steering wheel unless absolutely necessary. Any ideas??

Is this car new to you? Has the cruise control ever worked?

I am having a similar problem. Worked great until a few weeks ago. for some reason the switches got rearranged. The cancel button didn't cancel any more. The speed down button became the speed up button. The cruise off button became the cruise on button. Then I noticed the radio control buttons started acting different too. I am wondering if the clock spring is going bad or something like that.

I am having a similar problem. Worked great until a few weeks ago. for some reason the switches got rearranged. The cancel button didn't cancel any more. The speed down button became the speed up button. The cruise off button became the cruise on button. Then I noticed the radio control buttons started acting different too. I am wondering if the clock spring is going bad or something like that.
At least that gives you a place to start! Clock springs seem to be a high failure item! My cruise is completely dead but at least every thing else seems to be working for now.

At least that gives you a place to start! Clock springs seem to be a high failure item! My cruise is completely dead but at least every thing else seems to be working for now.
The other stuff will start failing little by little.

I am having the same problem, what do i have to start looking for, if a fuse where is it ?

I am having the same problem, what do i have to start looking for, if a fuse where is it ?
Wish I knew!! I have the 5178 page service manual and haven't found the fuse yet. Had hoped that someone else on the forum could help...

Wish I knew!! I have the 5178 page service manual and haven't found the fuse yet. Had hoped that someone else on the forum could help...

Thanks Jim, i went to a search menu and got an answer from a Chris (aka-Moose) a Ford Technician and he mailed me back and told me that there are 3 Fuses related to this problem, haven't had time to try this yet but here they are--
1 - Central Junction box (CJB) fuse 235 ( 5 ) Amp
2- Underhood auxiliary junction box (AJB) fuse 106 (15) Amp
3- Underhood (AJB) fuse 118 (40) Amp

Good Luck, let me know if you have any luck

Thanks so much!! Did NOT want to take it to Ford. I'll let everyone know tomorrow....
Thanks to Tony and Chris but no luck with the fuses. At least I now know where to find the individual fuse panels both in the car and the service manual! Know that it's probably an electrical problem but am totally scared of pulling the steering wheel to access the switch. I'm a holding pattern for now!!

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem right now, same issues exactly. What eventually fixed it ?

I'm having the same problem right now, same issues exactly. What eventually fixed it ?
I had a problem one time with CC not slowing car down when on a decline and also doing a bit of jerky action on the flat. When I replaced the airfilter element as part of routine maintenance, I cleaned the inside of throttle body and pulled out and reattached the electrical connections around same area and the problem went away, no idea if it was related but gas been good for more than 3 years and 30k miles since?
Ian

Thanks to Tony and Chris but no luck with the fuses. At least I now know where to find the individual fuse panels both in the car and the service manual! Know that it's probably an electrical problem but am totally scared of pulling the steering wheel to access the switch. I'm a holding pattern for now!!
I have similar problem. The cruise control icon does not activate when switch toggled. Also, icon does not display on dash board when started

Ford dealer replaced several computers 4 years ago when dashboard did not light up. Other issues with power door licks were a problem too.
Now, when I attempt to utilize cruise control, nothing happens. Also, I didn’t feel the brake pedal pulsate when I tried a panic stop. This car is a real POS. Only 9400 miles o. It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back