Coolant Leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yukonosufan

Last seen
Have 2003 T-bird that had same overheat issues that others have posted. Found nut pulled loose from plastic theromstat housing which allowed air to get into the system. Got that problem fixed but now have coolant leaking out the back of the engine where the transmission bell housing bolt up. Any one seen this problem and where is the source of the leak?

Moderator Note 2020: See this thread for coolant system troubleshooting- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...nderbird-thermostat-housing-water-pumps.9778/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I haven't heard of that rear leak beofe, hopefully someone will post. As it relates to the thermostat plastic coupling, do you have any pictures as to where that is?

YUKO: ANY RESPONSE??????:confused:

Have 2003 T-bird that had same overheat issues that others have posted. Found nut pulled loose from plastic theromstat housing which allowed air to get into the system. Got that problem fixed but now have coolant leaking out the back of the engine where the transmission bell housing bolt up. Any one seen this problem and where is the source of the leak?

So Yuko, what's the resolution to your problem, since now we have another similar problem?:confused::confused:

It is disturbing when people post an issue but no resolution.

When we don't have an answer, we say so and they go silent
Other times we attempt to help with various resolutions, they still do not respond............................WHY?

We should all be here to share information not just ask and go away. I guess I'm getting sore about this. I've posted before about it and it still happens.

In fact here's one of my posts from a year and a half ago on the same issue:
http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread.php?t=3965

Last edited:
Dan I do not have any pics.
Try this though- Take a good look at the coolant jug. White plastic reservoir - These have been known to have slight but constant leaks. Quite possibly that could be the source.
Some who had this issue took a while to find it, never thinking it would be the reservoir itself

Last edited:
.....you know, considering where the coolant receptacle and cap is nestled in the firewall on the drivers side it seems to coincide with the drip pattern mentioned...so may be have a closer look at it?

Dan: Did some research for you:
That bottle is called a “degas bottle”. The guy reported “with my bird, I had Hair line cracks in the bottle. They were not visible until the bottle was removed. “

Another owner said “I realized that the DeGas bottle was leaking at the threads because it was loose. I think I was at the gas station and was checking the PS and oil and may have loosened the Degas bottle top and realized it was under pressure and stopped. I think I just left it a little loose. So, I did remove the bottle and cleaned it up and put it back in after finding out it has no cracks. It has not leaked since. “

Another, I agree, The bottle seems to be a weak point on these cars. Several, mine included, have had theirs replaced due to the plastic cracking."
Another potential for you: “There is a purge/bleeder valve behind the left front wheel well, when my dual control valve that controls A/C and heat for driver and passenger went a year ago and was replaced, I had a leak behind the left front wheel, when I returned to the dealer, that is what it was, the purge/bleeder valve wasn't tightened all the way after they refilled the water and coolant, at that time they replaced the valve as they stated they sometime will not seal completely after age. Just an idea of something to check”

“The heater "purge" valve on our '03 is on the firewall near the master cylinder. A small rubber hose to nowhere. Has a plug in the end you can turn with your fingers or a screwdriver. It has scalloped edges and a screwdriver slot.. Check that to see if it’s wet. Make sure it's tight
Then to purge, bring car to operating temperature, set heat to 90, and carefully open valve to bleed air. Repeat until no more bubbles escape. There is a technical service bulletin with these instructions from a shop manual, maybe on site.”
Finally, “I had a leak from the rear of the engine and nothing I did helped. So, I broke down and brought it to the dealer (NP Lincoln) and they found the problem easy enough. It was a hose/tube UNDER the intake manifold. It only looked like it was dripping from the back of the engine. They had to take the manifold off, replace the tube/hose, then put new gaskets on the manifold. All told it was $850 I think if not a bit more...parts was about $100. I don't think I would have fixed it myself even if I knew what it was. “

Thanks a bunch for the help, George.

I finally had another chance to get under there today. I was able to check the degas bottle and found no cracks or leaks. And when I got back under the car again I realized I had made a major error in my description! It's coming out of the passenger side of the transmission tunnel! Sheesh! Not sure how I got backwards there. Anyways, I can see the lines on that side that are going through the firewall(heater core?) all seem to be fine. No white residue or moisture. And there doesn't seem to be any moisture inside the vehicle either.

In summary: Coolant leaking out from the passenger side where I can see way up the side of the transmission tunnel, but no source identified. It drips at a fairly steady rate. Yet only when it's running.

Unfortunately, I'm once again out of time on this. :( Any new thoughts would greatly be appreciated.:)

DAN

Well Dan, that's one I had not heard yet. However, here's the closest I could get for you:
This guy had a leak in back of his engine. He tried everything that others mentioned with no results. Then he finally said:
“I broke down and brought it to the dealer (Lincoln) and they found the problem easy enough. It was a hose/tube UNDER the intake manifold. It only looked like it was dripping from the back of the engine. They had to take the manifold off, replace the tube/hose, then put new gaskets on the manifold.
All told it was $850 I think if not a bit more...parts was about $100.”

Not sure this has anything to do with what you explained above, but that's about all that's left.
Are you sure it's not Tranny fluid :confused:

“I broke down and brought it to the dealer (Lincoln) and they found the problem easy enough. It was a hose/tube UNDER the intake manifold. It only looked like it was dripping from the back of the engine. They had to take the manifold off, replace the tube/hose, then put new gaskets on the manifold.
All told it was $850 I think if not a bit more...parts was about $100.”

After scouring the net again last night, I have started mentally preparing for this possibility. A guy on the Jaguar forums documented this problem and the fix. It's pretty much the same motor isnt it?

Are you sure it's not Tranny fluid :confused:

No, I can see high enough up the side of the tunnel to see that it's above the transmission.

Before leaving for San Francisco in the morning, I'll try to get one more quick look at it this afternoon. Then it will be over a week until I can get back to it. If I do take the manifold off, I'll document it at that time. Thanks again!

DAN

And that it's just clear water. I havnt been refilling it with coolant yet.

Not needing more coolant and "Just clear water"?

Are you sure it's not the AC? You did say it does it only when its running. So, take it out for 20 minutes with the heater and AC in the off position. When you return to the garage, can you see clear water? or is it dry?

In my opinion, for what its worth, only the AC can produce clear water. :confused:
Everything else under the hood should have an oily substance in it.

Dan: You also asked; "It's pretty much the same Jaguar motor isn't it?" No, I don't think so. I believe the chassis is Jaguar and the drive train is all Lincoln LS. - By the way, there is a Lincoln LS forum. They may have something over there that's related.

Last edited:
Here's the skinny on TBird vs. Lincoln from wikipedia:
"The Lincoln LS is a mid-size, rear wheel drive luxury sedan from Lincoln. For its production run from 1999 until 2006, it was based on the Ford DEW98 platform, which was shared with the Jaguar S-Type and Ford Thunderbird. LS versions were originally to be called LS6 and LS8[1][2] depending on engine choice, but those designations were replaced with "LS V6" and "LS V8"

Moderator Note 2020: See this thread for coolant system troubleshooting- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...nderbird-thermostat-housing-water-pumps.9778/
Probably a freeze plug rotted , how many miles on engine ?

Bigdog,

This post is over 12 years old. Even though yukonsufan never told us what was wrong, I would hope that the car is fixed after all these years.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back