AC interior smell 03 Bird

AMX
Last seen
When I use my AC for the first time, for awhile I get a smell from the vents, it is not a dead animal smell or electric burning smell, more like a chemical but not antifreeze smell and of course, not pleasant with the AC on and windows up. Any one else noticed this and any idea what is causing it? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Might be a bit of a mildew smell if it hasn't been used in a while - at any rate you might want to change the cabin air filter, a pain in the neck but necessary at regular intervals..
81F4emyjQ+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good - compared to my more modern cars, which only involves changing the filter via a glove box compartment its still more work.

I installed a new filter in about 10 minutes, not that hard to do. So far it seems to have cleared the air.
Another Sky Blue. Had ours inspected couple of weeks ago and the shop said I needed to replace the cabin filter. Told them I would do it because I also wanted to check out a noisy wiper motor. The filter was really dirty, not sure when it was last changed as we just got the car last Spring. After reviewing the directions provided on the site I was able to get the wiper motor out and replaced at the same time. Wipers operate much quieter now.

some newer cars have a computer program that will have the heater fan run for so long after the ignition is shut off. This normally takes a dealer Tech to turn it on or off. This allows the HVAC to have air blow thru it and dry out so it does not smell the next time you turn the HVAC on.
I do not know if TB has this program on their computer.

When I use my AC for the first time, for awhile I get a smell from the vents, it is not a dead animal smell or electric burning smell, more like a chemical but not antifreeze smell and of course, not pleasant with the AC on and windows up. Any one else noticed this and any idea what is causing it? Thanks

This happened with another Vehicle of mine-VW-CC-and I replaced the cabin filters and it seemed to help.
I think there is one on the passenger side below glove box- but not entirely sure about the location on your model.
Make sure there is no moisture finding its way into the vehicle especially on carpeting. It will lead to mold.
Good Luck!

This is weird, I still get an engine smell through the vent when A/C is on and it only happens when I stop, so something under the hood is getting sucked through the filter intake grate as I apply the brakes and stop or slow down. When driving, no smell at all and it is not brake smell. Don't know if maybe compressor, but my A/C and heat works and never noticed it with the heat on. So it was not the cabin filter. Going to be hard to trace, but smell goes away as soon as I start driving

Check the valve cover for a oil leak that is dripping on the exhaust manifold.

You were right, passenger side valve cover filled up pretty bad even on top.The coil in the back was broken right off it's mounting arm and was just floating. Can't figure out why my car was still running so good with that coil. Have not checked drivers side, just doing one side at a time. Can't figure out how to remove the coil wire grommet from behind the valve cove it deforms when I try to get it out and afraid it will rip. Any suggestions cause water was getting in so will have to rtv it also

No, the wire pig tail that connects to the coils. It has to go through the back of the cover through a hole that has a rubber like grommet to keep water out

No, the wire pig tail that connects to the coils. It has to go through the back of the cover through a hole that has a rubber like grommet to keep water out
I would suspect a good quality valve cover gasket kit will come with all needed to do the replacement. If not, RTV silicone gasket maker will work as a substitute.
Some links below

After removing cover, found it to be RTV. There is no seal included for that area and it looks like that is the way it was done at factory

Back