A/C issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi. Newbie here with a 2002 T-bird. For the last couple of years my a/c has been giving me troubles. Not very often thankfully but it quits blowing cold air and blows HOT air. Sometimes you can hear a "clunk" just before it starts just behind the dash. Seems to happen when I hit a bump in the road?????:roll eyes: It will usually last for several minutes to a couple hours. Sometimes I can get the cold air back by turning on and off the a/c but it also will come back if I hit another bump in the road. Any ideas why this is happening? My husband is fairly mechanic and thinks a blower flap (?) might get stuck open??? I'm here in Texas and it's starting to heat up and it acted up a couple days ago. Any advice would be appreciated.

Moderator Note: 2020- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ne-side-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.9446/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just had the a/c compressor replaced in our new to us '04 t-bird. There is a 3 way valve that runs from the radiator that can go bad and cause the condition that you are describing. My a/c guy said that it can cause the driver side to blow cold or hot while the passenger side blows the opposite. It seems like a fairly common issue with this car based on the forums that I have read. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

I had the same problem with a 2002 model.

The Ford Dealer had no idea of the cause and after 3days and removal of the Instrument Panel they discovered a faulty part that controlled the Duct Valves.

Total cost $1300. I think I paid for their total incompetence to quickly diagnose the problem. Will not know until next summer if they fixed the problem.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back