2003 Won't Start

Roadking
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need some help.
My 2003 was in the paint shop for a complete repaint and they disconnected the battery as part of the complete disassembly prior to painting. They have reassembled the car and reconnected the battery but the car will not start. It turns over strong but will not start.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Its odd and I can't explain it but this happened to me on 3 separate instances over the last two years after my 2002 sat for a time.
Whereupon I used my ODB-II scanner to clear all error codes and the car started right up, in every case.
If it happens again I will record the codes to try to isolate the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its odd and I can't explain it but this happened to me on 3 separate instances over the last two years after my 2002 sat for a time.
Whereupon I used my ODB-II scanner to clear all error codes and the car started right up, in every case.
If you own a Bird, you really need to buy a cheap OBD-II code reader/eraser. Wouldn't be without one. Cheers

I always disconnect my battery for the winter storage. I have had a 'crank, no start' happen when reconnected. It seems to correct itself once I lock and unlock the car with the remote. It may need that to reconfirm a programmed key match to the ECM.

Last edited:
Are you sure that you have fuel? If you do, it could certainly be the fuel pump as it’s not uncommon for them to fail. Can you hear it running? Some believe that you should fill up when your gauge reads 1/4 full. The theory is that the fuel cools the pump.

I agree with Frankie. In addition to clearing any codes with a scanner tool, you may find the radio doesn’t work. after being off power, the PCM needs to relearn many things. The car should be started and let idle for 15 minutes with no accessories running E.g. A/C or heater while it relearns the fuel trim ratios. Then drive it normally (read no hard accel) for another 20-30 minuteS. It will go back to normal on its own as it relearns everything. If they had to disconnect the battery they could have left a battery tender or other maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter or accessory port to keep the computer active to avoid all of this. Good luck.

Back