2003 Hemmings Thunderbird Article 2002-2005

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I own a 1955 and a 2004 Thunderbird. The 1955 is a classic that I drive locally about 1,000 miles per year. I get many compliments and thumbs up when I'm driving the 1955, it's a real head turner. The 2004 Thunderbird is the car I take when we are driving on a long trip. I like the feel and handling of the 2004, its a wonderful car to drive on a long trip. In 2021 we took our 2004 Thunderbird on a trip from Ohio to Chicago, and went on Route 66 all the way to the end in Santa Monica. There is something about driving on Route 66 with the top down on a fall day that is indiscribable.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is so you know the passion I have for my Thunderbirds. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same feeling.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I agree with your assessment of the newer "Baby Bird". I take my '03 on many moderate length trips. It handles well for not being a "True" sports car. I feel that the brakes could be improved. But, I love the feeling and sense of openness and freedom I get from car with the top down. As a long time motorcycle rider it's the next best thing. After owning a sports cars, my wife is the real fan of car. She love the "50's" euro lines of the car. She believes it's affordable answer to drive a '50's Italian sports car. I make it a point of driving the car at least once a week. It's like a trip to gym, it keeps it in shape.

Relatively good article overall. I think that the re-sale prices are way out of line. And there's NO mention of the 2002 fuel pump problems, which can drive you crazy!
I have owned my black body/white hardtop since day one. It has 60,000 miles, and is only driven about 1,500 miles per year. I have replaced the double(yes, it has two!)fuel pumps twice over the years, and replaced a cracked gas tank(salvaged)this past winter.
But I still love it, because it looks so cool!

I replaced my tank and pump when I first got it. If the tank is removed, there are plastic shops that can weld the crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fairly interesting article but Ive heard nothing but bad reports on that man Phil W.
Anyway- My neighbor always loved my 2002 and recently offered me 6500$- I said "youve got a deal" and continued on with the small talk/ B S neighborly conversation. When we were about to go into our cribs, he again brought up the car- I said "yes, we have a deal but the key will cost another 5000$ !!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Anyway, I think the prices are in line with reality- If mine ever hits 100000, (it has 87000) Im going to place it in my living room with a popcorn machine!!
ENJOY your tbirds- they are tooooooo coooool.

I have nothing but good things to say about the car. The only bad experience I had was the dealer who consigned it .... so much for the 128 point inspection! I started having the fluky drivers window issue. I immediately pulled the FEM, sent it off for a rebuilt. After the install, it was perfect. Have not had any issues and drive it frequently which is exactly what this car requires. Let it sit around, and I can assure you that you will have coil issues from the resulting oil seepage due to dry seals. That also counts for the oil. Failure to run it, and change it after long time periods will have a negative effect as time will degradate the oils adaptive package resulting in acid build up and even moisture of you live in humid climate.

Gentleman" I would like to put a O E M tire & Rim in the trunk, But I am told it will not fit. What would it take to do this?? Thanks, I Appreciate. Gene

I've watched DeMuro's video and clearly he did not get the point, it's NOT a sports car.
And how come none of the reviewers get that the under armrest storage is exactly the same size as 6 cd jewel boxes?
This is as obvious as the nose on your face.

Back