Winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tattwo98

Last seen
What are members doing for short term winter storage?
Other than a good cleaning are there any other steps that should be done?
I store my Bird in a unheated garage and and i'm currently installing a "snap" together rubber floor to keep it off the bare concrete.
Any tips would be appriciated !

2005 Torch Red
Black Interior :D

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have put my 02 T-Bird to sleep for the last 4 winters. Here in Alaska we have too much snow and mountians that would stop me from ever getting it home. I clean it very well to prevent scrathes from a cover I put on it. I had StayBil to the gas tank per the instructions. I have a connector for a small trickle charger / battery conditioner and connect this to the battery. StayBil can be purchased at any auto parts store or maybe even Wal-Mart. The battery conditioner I believe can be purchased at Wal-Mart. Mine was given to me by my neighbor. It is called VDC ELECTRONICS BatteryMINDER 12V 1Amp Battery Charger / Conditioner.

Winter storage.

Clean, Staybil, battery charger, and covering the floor (blocks moisture) are great idea's. Lubricate all hinges and locks. Keep all fluids including gas full. For long storage raise the tires off the floor and hold in position with a jack. This will prevent flat spots from developing in the tires. You can buy bags of a dessicant (absorbs moisture) that prevent musty closets. I would put one in the cabin and trunk to stop a musty smell in the car and prevent mold or mildew. During most of my low period use I just add staybill and try to run the car for at least 5 minutes once a month. I can't stand not to drive my tbird.

....my answer is to drive it in the winter...which I do.....a well balanced and enjoyable ride....with the hardtop on, comfortably ensconced within....We have lots of winter here....all with no assistance from winter tires.......

If you do not elevate it, and your floor is Cement, it is better for the tires if they are parked on wood - I took a sheet of 4'x8' plywood and cut it into four 2'x4' pieces and park on them.

This is an old thread but worthwhile to help newcomers:

*Before parking for 5+ months I top off the fuel tank to keep moisture from accumulating. But before filling up I add a fuel stabilizer to keep the fuel fresh. Then drive it at least 4 miles to be sure the mixed fuel and stabilizer is throughout the fuel lines
*If your garage floor was poured without plastic underneath the concrete, cover your floor with a sheet of plastic before parking on it. You’ll be surprised how much water accumulates under this sheet. Personally, I prefer and use a 9’ x 17’ rubber ribbed parking mat.
* I also put 4 pieces of plywood 2’ x 4’ under the wheels to prevent any moisture getting on the tires. Be sure that the tires are at correct pressure, since they naturally may lose some pressure over the winter.
* I cover the two wheels that face windows with black plastic garbage bags to keep the tires out of direct sunlight since rubber is sensitive to ultraviolet light, and prolonged exposure to UV light will cause the tires to eventually crack and split.
* For the interior and trunk, it is good to leave either “Bounce” laundry sheets or mothballs inside to repel potential critters, or one of those electronic critter repellers plugged in. - If these are issues either put steel wool in your tailpipes or cover them as an added measure .
* Finally, before I cover the car, I connect my Battery Tender and leave it on for the storage period. Then drop the lid on my Cali duster to hold the trunk ajar. If you do not have, or want a battery tender, be sure to remove your battery or disconnect the cables.

Is it suggested to leave the soft top up or down? Or do you put it down and install the hardtop for winter storage?

Keith;
I am unusual and have the hard top on most of the summer for A/C and most of all appearance. And soft top down.
Therefore I prefer to store it with soft top up to keep it stretched, for the winter
Thanks for asking

I also use my Thunderbird during winter. It's only an average one, and believe me when I say that it's the belle of the ball sitting in the work parking lot surrounded by a carpet of snow. Maybe it's the Michelins, but the retro Thunderbirds are great in the snow.

I'm in south Florida so storing is a thing from the past. However my original stomping grounds was New Haven Conn. so putting motorcycles and collectable cars away was the normal practice around Thanksgiving. I used aviation fuel and avoided concrete floors. A good coat of wax and shipping blankets when the storage was unheated was used and a with a lightweight plastic dust cover over the car.
I think running the car a few times during the winter months is key!
I have stored a few up on blocks with grease fittings stuffed and plugs pulled
and the whole nine yards for a longer stay (15 months) battery pulled and some form of air movement (fans) in the area.

S.W. Fla. is a great place for the T-Bird their aren't many in my area and
its a fun car use, hard top, soft top up or down its all good!!!
Doc.

I'm in south Florida so storing is a thing from the past. However my original stomping grounds was New Haven Conn. so putting motorcycles and collectable cars away was the normal practice around Thanksgiving. I used aviation fuel and avoided concrete floors. A good coat of wax and shipping blankets when the storage was unheated was used and a lightweight plastic dust cover over the car.
I think running the car a few times during the winter months is key!
I have stored a few up on blocks with grease fittings stuffed and plugs pulled
and the whole nine yards for a longer stay (15 months) battery pulled and some form of air movement (fans) in the area.

S.W. Fla. is a great place for the T-Bird their aren't many in my area and
its a fun car use, hard top, soft top up or down its all good!!!
A quick winter and spring fun is close be safe!
Doc.[/QUOTE]

Conn huh??? Yeah, I was born and brought up in Greenwich, CT
Always had antique cars and you're right, no need to store them. Just selective driving.

I have a friend in Winter Park , FL. Is that near you, Dr. D?

Last edited:
Not to drift too far from the topic, but I'm born and raised in Norwich, (go NFA Wildcats,) now retired skilled tradesman from Ford Research and Development Center in Dearborn, Mi.

When these cars first hit the streets here you would have thought there were millions of them. There still are loads of them in great low miles condition and average used. Mine is a great winter driver which yes, will see every snow, but will never sit outside in it when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back