Wind Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several ideas for making a wind screen that mounts behind the seats when the top is down since I own a manufacturing company and have a brand new T Bird I'm going to make one for my self and I'm wondering if anyone else is interested. I think I can keep the cost well under $100 and develop a mounting procedure that will not need holes drilled into the car I will update with some drawings and ideas next week.

------------------

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

With the top down there is negative air pressure in the cockpit so air moves in from the rear of the car to fill the negative pressure. The wind screen sits behind the seats is made of smoked acrylic plastic and blocks the air from moving in from behind. The ride is much less windy so we don't get our hair messed up or blow off our toupe's

------------------

I kinda liked some of the "Comb-over" effects I get from the wind. You know..Swirls of hair in various directions, sometimes my hair even stands up.

Mark

I've been getting a new shorter haircut that says " I live at the beach and drive a convertible!"
biggrin.gif

-

MARK:
DRIVING W/ MY T'BIRD TOP DOWN SOMETIMES MAKES SOMETHING ELSE STAND-UP!
Originally posted by Mark501:
I kinda liked some of the "Comb-over" effects I get from the wind. You know..Swirls of hair in various directions, sometimes my hair even stands up.

Mark

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

I have a wind screen for my C-5 called Vette Net and it's made of aluminum and wire screen..the hooking up is very ingenious so, whether it's plexiglas of this, I'd be interested in what you come up with...BTW the cost for the corvette one is $349.00 and worth every dime!

confused.gif
So many owners have said in the past that you don't get wind in the cockpit, now some of you are saying you get that wind whipping around to the front from the back?! I don't have my car yet! I don't know who to believe! I do have that problem with our Chryslers' Just how bad is that wind? I've seen some ugly wind screens on some cars and not sure what I would like if the wind is a problem.

thenewbird2,

I have had 4 convertibles and two other cars with T-tops.

I get almost NO wind buffeting or noise in the new TBird. It is absolutely amazing....and I am very sensitive to noise...like I don't like it.

I've had the TBird up to 100MPH and I could carry on a normal conversation with the passenger with the top and both windows down.

That's my experience.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

This is my 1st convertible and the noise is not a problem. The wind makes me think I am going to lose my ball cap. I am thinking about a motorcycle "do rag" just to keep hair in place and the bald spot from turning all red! So I would be interested in a wind screen.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359
Tag # 15AGAIN

While driving home from the recent Great Georgia Thunderbird Rally I discoverd, completely by accident, that driving with the top down and just the passenger window up reduced the wind turbulence even further.

------------------
Charlie
VENUS, a Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent.
VIN 12778

Originally posted by charliefed:
While driving home from the recent Great Georgia Thunderbird Rally I discoverd, completely by accident, that driving with the top down and just the passenger window up reduced the wind turbulence even further.

I use that technique with the Chryslers we have - works great for the driver but the passenger still gets some wind.

I read a road test within the last year or so--can't remember where--that tested "wind screens" on four or five convertibles--Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and a couple of others. The windscreens apparently did very little to reduce turbiulence, and in at least one case made it noticeably worse.

The Thunderbird is remarkably quiet and turbulence free without a windscreen. I see no need for one. By the way, the problem with the interstates is not nearly so much the air turbulence, but the noise pollution caused by traffic, especially heavy trucks. No trucks means less noise and less turbulence. In a convertible you are out in the open air, and noise-cancellation headsets or earplugs are the only two ways I know of that might overcome the incredible noise on a busy interstate. (Of course you can easily test this yourself--just stop on the shoulder of a busy interstate and try carrying on a conversation in a normal voice.)

Noticed somthing interesting from all responses so far. You are all from the south except the STAND UP comedian. Us northereners don't really mind the back wind that much, it's the cold back wind we don't like. So up here in the northwest when when a warm night is considered to be 65 degrees, it's nice to drive with the top down and not get wind chill.

No offense to you short-haired or no-haired men who aren't bothered by the wind while driving topless, but as someone with fairly long hair I have a real problem with the wind whipping the hair into my eyes. (Also my mouth, but that doesn't affect my ability to see while driving, only my singing.) It seems to be worse on my right side, so I think it is the air coming from the back between the seats. Sunglasses and a big hair clip are necessities for driving around town, and everything crammed under a baseball cap for longer trips. I would definitely want the wind screen if it looks decent.

p.s. Isn't is illegal to drive with the top down and window(s) up?
smile.gif

-

Originally posted by RTBRD:
I believe it is aesthetically illegal

Driving w/ the top down and windows up is like being "a little bit pregnant". Either you are or you're not. When the top is lowered, the windows ought to be lowered in sync. FORD ought to consider locking the windows down and not permitting them to be raised when the top is down! We have a responsibility to drive this vehicle with the utmost dignity and panache!

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

To the NEWTBIRD2:

No matter how good the design is and it is good on the bird. You can't fight physics. It's the same thing that makes planes fly. When air is racing over your windshield at 60, 70, 80? 90?? or whatever; the void has to be filled from somewhere and that somewhere is from behind. It is less windy then my vettes or my allante but my wife still complains that her hair gets messed up.

I've found that putting the windows up and the A/C on full blast seems to help when sitting in traffic with the top down on my TC's. They do not have a power top and you need to be out of the car to put the top up, so it's just easier to run the windows up and turn on the A/C. Also putting the window up just an inch or so helps keep the wind from beating on the shoulder belt when on the road at speed. The TC is another car that likes to travel at 85 or so. Cruise control max's out at 85 and you have to use your foot to cruise any faster.
I'll have to try out these two trick on the Bird when it gets here.....
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back