Where's the spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Last seen
I know I'm not supposed to have to worry about it until the car has 100,000 miles on it, but I'm the curious type.
I have looked for the spark plugs on my '02 Bird and see no sign of them, not even wires. The salesman told me they were "underneath", but underneath what? I haven't crawled under the car to look for them (I'm thin, but not that thin). Possibly you have to remove the covers that are screwed to the top of the valve covers to get to them.
Anyone know?

------------------
Bob :)I'd rather be camping:) Schantz

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

bobschantz if you are looking for traditional spark plug wires you will never find them because they do not exist on the newer Fords. Instead of having one ignition coil, you now have eight (8). Each one of these coils plugs right on to the spark plugs and have just a regular electrical wire going to them. Like a 14 gauge wire or so. The plugs are under the black engine cover and can only be seen when you remove the coil off the top of them.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Thanks Lon. I'll see if I can locate them.

------------------

Lon, I assume you are talking about the black cover that says Thunderbird V8 on it.
I removed it and looked for the plugs but can't see anything that resembles one.
I have worked on cars all my life and changed a lot of spark plugs, but this totally baffles me.
The only thing I can think of is that they are below the valve covers and can't be seen unless you are under the car. If that's the case they must be very hard to get to.

------------------

That's where they be. I only had one wrench in my tool box that fit those little nuts, as a ratchet could only reach half of them. I just pulled code 3006, which means I have to inspect plug on #6 cylinder (driver side, second from front). Can anyone suggest best performance plug? I get on it a lot, so cost is not important. Thanks.

I'd replace all the coils and plugs while you are at it. About ~$100 in parts (eBay) and half a days labor. You will not be disappointed!

That's what I plan to do, if one plug is bad the rest are close. The coil packs are fine, most have been replaced in the past 3 years.

I got a set at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I am just going to pop them out every year and get new ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back