Wheel Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Jodrod,

New wheels look very good. I will not be getting Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2. Chris Coddington called on Monday 1-28-02 and informed me the 17 inch wheels do not fit in the Smoothie style on the 2002 TBirds(the large calipers).
As you know, if you are using old tires you need a 17inch wheel.
I have ordered the 17 inch Voxx Argus from Discount Tire and will have them next week.

Also, any tips on storage of chrome original
wheels? I don't want mine rusting in storage.

------------------
'56 + NM '02 Birds
'98F250'01 Olds Aurora4.0
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Fortunately they are aluminum so they won't rust. I just cleaned all the brake dust off and gave them a good coat of carnuba wax, wrapped them in a large plastic bag and put them in the boxes that the Coddingtons came in. I am planning on pulling them out once a year and checking them, if they need another coat of wax at that point I will clean and rewax.

Just went and looked at the Argus. Are you going to have them chromed?

-

FDCaptain asked Also, any tips on storage of chrome original wheels? I don't want mine rusting in storage."
FD even in Denver if you put a coat of wax on them they should live happily for a long time in storage.
I see a lot of posts regarding the longevity of chrome wheels. I put aftermarket chrome wheels on my wife's new Camry in 1994, wheels still look brand new. Another big advantage to chrome is the brake dust mostly flies off (Ford supplier could have done better job on the 7 point by polishing the entire visible surface). There are defects in chroming just like anything else, but a triple plated chrome finish should last decades with minimal care.
I mentioned previously that I collect/restore.buy/sell old Japanese motorcycles as a hobby. A month ago I rec'd a set of NOS chrome exhaust pipes for a 1968 Honda. These came from a dealer in The Netherlands. They are 33 years old, still in the original wrapper and not a spec of rust on them.
My 2 cents worth.

Jodrod,

I will leave them in the silver paint finsh.
I purchased the set of Firestone LH tires last year for these wheels.

When I show the Neiman car it will be 100% Neiman, for driving it will be the VOXX wheels w/ Firestone rubber.

Will post pictures next week.

I had my new every day driving wheels put on the Neiman Bird over the weekend.
As I previously posted, the Smoothies require an 18 inch wheel to clear the massive calipers on the front of our Birds.

The tires on these wheels are Firestone's Firehawk LH and were the original tires on the Linclon LS and destined for the Bird's until the rollover lawsuits.

The VOXX Argus wheel is a one piece aluminum with five spokes. It is panited silver and has the edges polished. It was not my first choice, but the list price for one original Neiman Marcus 21 spoke chrome wheel with a Michelin is more than all four tires and wheels now on the car.

I will put the Neiman Chrome wheels on for shows and most likely even the Route 66 trip.

The link is here http://photos.groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/lst?.dir=/Neiman+W+New+Wheels&.src=gr&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/vwp%3f.dir=/Neiman%2bW%2bNew%2bWhe els%26.dnm=fdnmbird---2.jpg%26.src=gr

------------------
'56 + NM '02 Birds
'98F250'01 Olds Aurora4.0
'68 AMC AMX
'73 Volvo 1800ES

FD,

Nice. They look a lot better than I thought they would when I looked at just a picture of the wheel itself.

That was one of the dilemmas I faced when trying to decide on a wheel, it is really hard to visualize what it is going to look like on the application and even harder if you cannot see the wheel in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back