Test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to those of you who have taken delivery...

Did you test drive your car before you took delivery? For some stupid reason, it never crossed my mind at the time. I assumed everything was perfect, plus it was a rainy day and I wasn't at all familiar with the roads around my dealership.

KB

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I sat in a lot of them and read everything I could. I also never thought about the test drive. What a great surprise it was when I drove it home (actually just drove around for a few hours) It drove and handled better then I could have thought.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay ('55 Reproduction)(ok so I sold it 2 months ago)

My salesman, my wife & I went to the railyard in my wifes Taurus. I then drove it from the railyard to the dealership with the salesman riding shotgun and my wife following close behind as all the shipping plastic was still all over the car. It was only a 2 1/2 mile drive but I guess it could be called a test drive of sorts.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Mine arrived the day after Christmas. It was hard but I waited until after New Year's to actually make the purchase to save a years property tax. Visited the bird every other day and once when the wife was with me, the dealership finally let us take a test drive. About 50 miles later we returned it and started the excruciating wait for Jan. 2nd when I had to work all day. Got off work and headed straight for the dealership and those with birds know the rest of the story.

I also own a Lincoln LS Sport so I knew pretty much what to expect in performance and handling with the Bird. The LS is a great car so I had little doubt that the Bird would meet or exceed it in all areas. I wasn't disappointed.
Ed
Triple Black #4430

I test drove a "pre-production" example that was making the rounds a few months before we took delivery, and I test drove Freyja the day of delivery. I always looked at my "place on the list" as a right of first refusal thing rather than a commitment to buy. I never had any intention of backing out, but I had to go through the motions of a test drive anyway. I wasn't disappointed.

I tried to take a test drive at several dealers in DC area, but was told outright that they were not allowing anyone to test drive the Thunderbirds. I actually didn't even get to drive it for 2 days after I purchased it because the owner of the dealership had it out cruising around and wouldn't bring it back. I asked to be allowed to at least test drive one of the other ones they had and again was told no, eventhough they had my money and signed paperwork. He eventually brought it back with 80 miles on it.

Both of us got to test drive our Black Bird around the dealer's large parking lot on Sunday, January 13, the day before we actually bought the T-bird. After the test drive, there was no way we were not going to get the T-Bird! There were only 14 miles on the T-Bird when the wife picked it up from the dealer on Tuesday, January 15, 2002, and drove it back to Fresno.

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium

MY WIFE AND I WERE FORTUNATE LAST SUMMER WHEN THE TOUR CAME THRU LITTLE ROCK. I HAD TALKED TO THE PERSON IN CHARGE AT CORP. AND HE ARRANGED THE DRIVE. 15 MINUTES OF GRINNIN' PLEASURE. FROM THAT POINT, I WAS DONE. FROM THAT DAY ON I WAS GLUED TO THE FORUM MULTIPLE TIMES DAY SOAKING UP EVERY BIT OF INFO ABOOT THE CAR. HAPPY MOTORING!! 02TBIRD

MY WIFE AND I WERE FORTUNATE LAST SUMMER WHEN THE TOUR CAME THRU LITTLE ROCK. I HAD TALKED TO THE PERSON IN CHARGE AT CORP. AND HE ARRANGED THE DRIVE. 15 MINUTES OF GRINNIN' PLEASURE. FROM THAT POINT, I WAS DONE. FROM THAT DAY ON I WAS GLUED TO THE FORUM MULTIPLE TIMES DAILY SOAKING UP EVERY BIT OF INFO ABOOT THE CAR. HAPPY MOTORING!! 02TBIRD

We took two test drives: one on Saturday for four miles and one on Monday for about 5 miles...it only had six miles on it when we first saw it at the dealer, and our miles were the only added miles.

ICROVOP: Can't believe your dealer would not let you have it for two days while he put 80 miles on it...that would have FRIED me!
mad.gif

MY WIFE AND I WERE FORTUNATE LAST SUMMER WHEN THE TOUR CAME THRU LITTLE ROCK. I HAD TALKED TO THE PERSON IN CHARGE AT CORP. AND HE ARRANGED THE DRIVE. 15 MINUTES OF GRINNIN' PLEASURE. FROM THAT POINT, I WAS DONE. FROM THAT DAY ON I WAS GLUED TO THE FORUM MULTIPLE TIMES DAILY SOAKING UP EVERY BIT OF INFO ABOUT THE CAR. HAPPY MOTORING!! 02TBIRD

Mine arrived at the dealership late one afternoon. The dealer prepped it prior to my arrival to take Amadeus home the next morning. I did have the opportunity to take a shake-down cruise with my salesman prior to signing the papers----I was so excited my penmanship was more illegible than normal!

My wife and I received our bird late in February. Due to the weather, we arranged for the dealer to deliver it on a tilt back truck directly to our house. (At no charge of course). Since then it has been resting on foam blocks with a California car cover. I just ordered personalized plates this week and am looking forward to hitting the road within the next few weeks for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back