Soft Boot Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The soft boot arrived today and a few minutes later it was on my car. It is extremely easy to install and is a good solution to covering up the convertible top well and a good solution that doesn't take up hardly any trunk space. It looks good and seems to be made of durable materials. I was worried what it would look like on a white Tbird, like mine. My worries quickly went away when I saw it installed on my car. It looks very good (not as smooth as the factory boot cover) but it is perfect for what it is supposed to do.

Keith,
Thanks for producing this boot cover and for doing such a great job with its design and compactness!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

my soft boot just arrived. bugged my wife and son all afternoon looking for the big brown truck. just when I was about to give up, it pulled into the drive way. haven't installed it yet.

one question. how do you fold it so that it will fit in the compartment in back of the trunk - like the pictures we saw earlier?

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

Folding procedure:

This is one way:

start by folding the rear flaps forward to create a rectangle. Then flip the stiff end (keep it flat) piece over and over till it you get to the other side. Slide into bag and zip shut. Then fold bag in half to fit into the storage well in the back of the trunk.

Hope this helps.

thanks - and while I have your attention - if I need to open the trunk do I have to unsnap, close and resnap? by the way, I put it on this morning and I like it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
neiman vin#00035

I tried something this morning, regarding the soft boot. Instead of tucking the flaps under the trunk lid, I tucked them deep down into the top "well-area", in the fold area for the convertible top, against the rear window glass. It seems to hold tight and gives a much cleaner look to the soft top. I drove around town for a few hours running some errands and it stayed in place. I didn't try it at speeds over 55mph, but around town, it gets the job done and presents a nice appearance!

thanks again. and TBirdTim - I'll try that too. not sure it would stay at higher speeds.

------------------
neiman vin#00035

Mine arrive yesterday afternoon and of course the first thing I did when the wife got home with the car was tried it on. Perfect fit and following Keith's instructions, it was a snug fit. Now, the next test will be July 3rd when we go to the property in north FL, 80mph + interstate trip.

I like it, I like it! Good job Keith and Tom.

I just tried what TbirdTim did. The soft boot stays on and looked good up to about 60mph. From there on up to 80 mph what happends is that the boot does stay in place but at higher speeds it sinks down into the low spot where the top is folded down into the body, if you know what I mean. I stopped and put the flaps back into the trunk and it was fine after that.
This method would work fine around town but not at highway speeds.
This was my test, we will see what other people find.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

you can open and close the trunk with the soft boot on, all that will happen is that it will gat a teenee but looser as the day goes on but nothing serious. (opened the trunk maybe 6 or 7 times )

Jawill,

I don't think anyone intends it to be a replacement for the cover that came with the car - it's meant for traveling. Without it, packing for any kind of extended trip (in actual bags/luggage instead of placing things loosely in the trunk) while allowing room for the original boot cover, would prove to be challenging... I've been debating the purchase too, but there aren't any options that I'm aware of for traveling...

------------------
Red/Red Premium 02 Bird w/full accent
2001 Ford Cobra
1997 Chevy Blazer (for the dogs)
DINKS

JAW,

This piece is sold as a travel boot, which is why I pruchased it. Around town, when the trunk is not full I will use the stock boot. When we go on our 3 week plus trip there will be absolutely no room for the stock one. I'm still not sure how we will get 3 weeks worth of stuff in the car.

Since we're on the subject of traveling, I found a golf bag that fits well in the trunk and still leaves room for luggage for at least a weeks stay. Joelja has one now also and we will be taking them on our Destination trip. Your might call it a walking bag, but I origionally got mine to fit behind the seat of my standard cab F150 truck. Joelja got the last one they had but we have the name of the manufacturer and may be able to get ordering info for anyone else interested. I can get at least 14 culbs in the bag and it has two small pouches. I can get 5 sleeves of balls in one of the pouches, which is the only drawback since this is sometimes not enough to get me through a round of golf.
wink.gif
The best part was the price, $25.00.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

I'm thinking about purchasing the travel boot. This question is for those who've had theirs for awhile.
Still pleased with the boot? Would you recommend it as a "buy".
Thanks.

------------------
2002 Triple Black
Premium

It is the only way to go for traveling. Looks different than the factory boot, but only other TBird owners would readily recognize that.

Around town, the stock boot is the preferred choice...it looks nicer.

Please post supplier and price of soft boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back