smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRL

Au Revoir
Last seen
A question.
I ranted an raved about the smellin my car last week but I'm curious, Do any of you have a burning smell especially when the throttle is opened. You don't have to floor it, just 2/3 to full pedel just for a couple of seconds. Last weekend at "Fords at Carlisle" there were 3 or 4 guys that seem to have the same problem. Ford is, as I've said in the past, refusing to repair this as they claim it will "go away at 5K miles" but I'm curious if anyone has the same problem
Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

JRL, I just finished taking a ride in mine and I noticed an ordor when I put the pedal to the floor and into passing gear. It smells like something to do with the catalytic converter. It's the type thing that will probably go away after you put some mileage on the car. Also try changing to another gasoline. Nothing wrong with bringing it to the attention of the service dept., Im going too.

Originally posted by JRL:
A question.
I ranted an raved about the smellin my car last week but I'm curious, Do any of you have a burning smell especially when the throttle is opened. You don't have to floor it, just 2/3 to full pedel just for a couple of seconds. Last weekend at "Fords at Carlisle" there were 3 or 4 guys that seem to have the same problem. Ford is, as I've said in the past, refusing to repair this as they claim it will "go away at 5K miles" but I'm curious if anyone has the same problem
Jim

After driving the car and parking it in an enclosed area (the garage) I can smell a burnt smell. But I notice that on all new cars. Painted surfaces will smell for awhile as will stainless pipes, catalytic convertors, etc. But after a couple to a few thousand miles this smell goes away. I have worked in heavy truck (Kenworth & Peterbilt) dealerships, plus auto (Ford & Toyota) dealerships since 1971 and have noticed burning smells on all the new vehicles for awhile. Don't worry about it as it is normal and will go away.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I have the smell also. Under medium to heavy acceleration I get a smell of burning carbon. The smell goes away within seconds of letting of the gas. I have 9500 miles on my bird with several oil changes and many different brands of gas and nothing has changed whether or not I get the smell. There are no noticeable oil leaks, but then again it does not smell like burning oil.

Mine has just over 600 miles on it and the only smell is the leather. When I first got it there was the typical new car smell of burning in the converter, metal, etc., but that has almost vanished.

JRL, have you taken any long drives of say over 50 to 100 miles at a time? if it is just residue, that should get it hot enough and long enough to burn it away. If you have only driven short trips in town and to the store, it may get hot enough to make it smell, but not long enough to burn it all away. If it is still there after a long trip, then something is leaking and it will still be there. i know that you are not happy with this car and I am sorry about that with all the other happy owners at this site. John

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
1/25 #6333
LIC: BLU TB

Just a little machine oil smell off the new pipes, and a little catalytic converter smell when I get on the throttle, but not enough to bother me. I just passed 5K mi. and it has lessened with time. Still, I'm so infatuated with this car. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem, and get some cooperation from your dealer. Anyone who pays this much for a car deserves that much.

I thank you for your replies, however I buy a new car every 18 months or so and they do not smell at all. The only car I had that smelled was a Volvo with a bad converter and it was replaced immediatly with no ensuing smell. If any of you, and it seems that there are a few, are experiencing this smell, IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE.Complain to your service manager It is not mormal to have any smell.(I use the same gas in all my cars.

I have over 5K miles and still get the smell when I floor it. I've been told by two different males riding with me (assuming all males come with the "car knowledge" gene that I am missing) that it is the catalytic converter and nothing to worry about. Now that I am over my initial fear that the car is going to catch on fire, I have good associations with that smell since it's such a blast to punch it
smile.gif

-

Cat.converters have been around now for almost 20 years, if they're in proper working order THEY SHOULD NOT SMELL. I don't cars what anyone says. I'm in the business and, trust me, they don't smell if correct.
Ford is making an inferior product here and they're trying to weasel out of fixing them.
Think about it.If all converters had a smell to them when you were stuck in traffic on a hot day you would be engulfed with smells. Guess what,that doesn't happen, does it?
Jim

JRL, I appreciate the info. As I have said before, I don't know anything about cars and have to rely on outside info. I will pursue it with the service department next time I'm in there.

If this is the catalytic convertor you're smelling, then a possible reason you're smelling it when you haven't on other vehicles is this...

from what I understand, the Bird's convertors are much closer to the engine, up front instead of midway back...they are designed that way to allow the engine to burn cleaner, faster...the convertors heat up much quicker that way, allowing it to burn cleaner sooner.

If indeed this is true, then the catalytic convertors would be somewhat forward of the passenger compartment, perhaps explaining this smell.

Others out there who know engines and engineering much better than I might be able to add additional comment on this possiblity.

-

I was so excited, and scared, the first night I drove mine home (100 hwy. mi.)that I didn't notice an odor. Since then, every time I floor it, there is a distinct odor. It smells like a new permanent (hair...sorry guys!) I have driven a bit over 4K, primarily hwy., and it's still present.

Sally

I sort of have to agree with JRL, Catalytic converters should not smell period, “if all else is working correctly”. The rotten Egg smell is a cause of the engine running to rich. The burning smell, because of the cat being to hot, is a lean burning condition, and/or the fresh air going to the cat not working. The egg smell, you usually smell from the car in front of you, and burning from your own car. Normally fresh air is pumped, one way or the other into the exhaust to help the cat burn any excess fuel, and to so it will not run hotter than it should. When I test a cat., other than emissions , I use a temperature sensor to check its temp. Cooler in front than back shows it is working. Also, the Cat.’s have been right behind the exhaust manifolds (as close as practicable) for a few years now, because it is more efficient and harder to bypass. Also I have noticed on my car when I am decelerating, there will be a slight change in the exhaust note. This is more air being pumped into the exhaust, to help burn the excess fuel not being burning by the engine.. This again has been done on most cars for years. For us a little older, remember when we put a spark plug at the exhaust tip, to make a flame, this was a good pre catalytic converter system. I don’t know if this is at all relevant to JRL’s smell, but I was thinking it might help some if explanation, of what I have used for years to help in Diagnosing emission problems over the years would help. John

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
1/25 #6333
LIC: BLU TB

Now that I woke you guys up, listen. Ford is trying to back out of fixing this problem. COMPLAIN to your service manager and complain now. Don't wait for your 1K service or a 3K service because it won't go away. We all paid 38-40K or more for our cars and, as I said, this smell sould not be there.Stand up be vocal let's not be buffaloed by Ford"s customer relations policy which I believe is an oxymoron anyway

rolleyes.gif
OK, right or wronge, I did have the smell you are talking about for the first few thousand miles. After about 4,000 miles it went away. I noticed it most on long drives or when I would get on it for a short distance. Like I said, it went away so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back