Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My right rear muffler has a pin hole already at the front that drips water and shows some rust. Will be keeping an eye on it.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

-

Originally posted by KYbluebird:
My right rear muffler has a pin hole already at the front that drips water and shows some rust. Will be keeping an eye on it.

The mufflers SHOULD have a small hole in them to allow the moisture to run out. Having said that, I noticed rust on the front axles 3 weeks after my car was built and started a thread about that. I was (probably correctly) informed that any unprotected steel or iron will rust very soon.
Last week I had the car in for oil change, while the dealer had it up on the rack I looked under it. Several places have quite a bit of advanced rust. Some on the mufflers, some on the suspension bolts, and the tail pipe hangers look like they have been sitting outside for 20 years.
This is a car that was built late December, lives in dry California, and has never been in the rain.
How will this play out in 5,10,25 years? I doubt it will be good. For me personally this was not an expensive car, but it is an expensive Ford. Being a Ford shouldn't be an excuse for this kind of stuff.

-

Hey if your concerned about rust on the under carriage of your car there is a great paint that restorers use that can be painted right over rust to not only seal it but strengthen it as well. It is called POR-15 and its an ugly black color most of the time though they are starting to use other colors. They use a similar POR product in the heat tiles of the space shuttle. It is almost totally chip proof and will keep the parts covered from rusting for about as ling as you or I will live. Its a little expensive though. http://www.por15store.com/
Check it out. It works great.

rolleyes.gif
I have worked in a machine shop almost all my life and on ANY bare metal even in just a couple of days you will get rust, it's a fact of life. You are saying that you are getting rust under your car, this is normal. The only way to stop this is to go under the car with a can of spray paint and push the botton. You will really notice this on your brake rotors if you leave the car sit for a period of time but with one drive the pads will clean it off.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Originally posted by Gobird:
rolleyes.gif
I have worked in a machine shop almost all my life and on ANY bare metal even in just a couple of days you will get rust, it's a fact of life. You are saying that you are getting rust under your car, this is normal. The only way to stop this is to go under the car with a can of spray paint and push the botton.

I don't want to beat this to death, BUT the Germans and Japanese also seem to know what you know-bare metal will rust. Pretty simple to coat those parts at the time of manufacture, and they do. Also the folks in Mexico that put the PT Cruiser together are aware of it. After 18 months I had the car on the rack and no visible signs of rust.
Does this matter to 90% of the people? Probably not, but it matters to me. So now I will get me some POR-15 and go under the car and push the button. In my opinion this is another example of how Ford could have made a VERY GOOD CAR, a great car.

Check out the rotors on cars that have been sitting for a few days, especially on the lot, and guess what you'll see.... Rust!

No what ever you do don't undercoat your car. This was discussed a while back, but undercoating can and will trap water over time. The best thing to use is paint if these things bother you.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back