tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
splash1.gif

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Looks like the last or second to last 1955 prototype designed by William Boyer and his crew, just ahead of the final release of the production 1955 Thunderbird.

I think it is a custom job - the headlights look like they have been "frenched" - not a common style in production in '55 or '56 - But George Barris did it to a lot of the late 40's early 50's cars. Also, the wheels look a little 90's, might almost be Mustang wheels or a Custom offshoot. The seats are Black - again I think this a custom color - Don't see many black interiors for this year.

Those wheels are Halibrand 5 spoke magnesium wheels popular in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. That was prior to the aluminum wheels and where the name "mags", or "mag wheels" came from. It is also a 55 and not a 56 as it does not have the Continental kit hanging off the rear of the car. It is defenitly a custom as it does not have the crossed flags or T-Bird winds on the front above the grille. Have to stop here, anything else would be a guess which was not wanted.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Originally posted by LON O'CONNELL:
Have to stop here, anything else would be a guess which was not wanted.

Well I really just didn't want complete shots into the dark. If it's and educated guess, just let me know.
wink.gif

Not sure about the origin of the picture but I know where it is being used. It is used on the box art for ERTL clear plastic model car covers found in the model section of your local Walmart among other places. You can't see the whole car on the box but the front end and wheels are easily identified.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Originally posted by icrovop:
can we get a hint?

Not from me because I am clueless!

Tbird...as someone with 3 kids (teenagers at that) let me give you some advice....never admit you are clueless! Trust me, better they should just think it!

FDIII

As a 55 ownmer that is definately a 55 not only because of the missing continental kit but bercause it does not have side vents on the fenders and it has the 55-56 style grill. It is definately slightly custom but the headlights look unmodified to me. One thing that is custom though is that the round things(I don't know what to call them) that come up into the grill area off of the bumper are missing. They are very expensive for new ones. It is supposed to have badging on the front above the grill with crossed flags and a bird on the front fenders sitting on an 8 for. The rims look like mustang rims but were common on many other cars from the 60's and todays hotrods but not on thunderbirds. Thunderbirds had hubcaps which were either chrome discs with a ford logo in the center or or wire style hubcaps which were a more expensive option on the later baby birds. After 47-48 years most unrestored thunderbirds have been modified a little so don't worry to much but badging can be expensive. Replicas were made but I don't think they made them of the 55 do it is probably real. Check it for the origional 292 yblock which can be told from its unusual shape. Also make sure that the cars powerseats work(they all had power seats std.) as well as the 6v. reverse polarity electrical system work and that it pumps oil to the valves. These were major problems if you are looking to buy. If you want to know more about this car email me at cbreton@vt.edu

-

Why won't anyone believe me when I say it is strictly box art for Racing Champions/ERTL products. Go to you local Walmart and look in the plastic model section of the toy department. On a box for a clear plastic model case you'll find the same picture (or at least part of the picture as it wraps around the box

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD:
Why won't anyone believe me when I say it is strictly box art for Racing Champions/ERTL products.

I believe it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back