1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

Need convertible top advice on sealing around rear window 2003

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Frodo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0919.JPG I have a question about the convertible top on a 2003 TBird. I noticed that the top is not sealed to the bottom of the rear glass window. This leaves a pocket where water runs in. I think it should be sealed so it won't collect water. Can anyone help me on this? If it needs sealing I think I will use marine goop to glue the upper part of the top to the lower part of the window. Anyone lease have this problem, or is it not supposed to be sealed to the window.
    Thanks
    Frodo

David S likes this.
  2. I have the same problem. Hopefully we'll get an answer.

3. I had that same problem. I took it to a local auto upholstery and soft top shop and they sealed my back window. I paid about 75 bucks and it spent the day while the sealant dried. I have not had an issue since.

4. Do you know what they used?
    Thanks
    I will check our area for a softtop repair shop. I live in the Destin, Ft Walton Beach area.
    Frodo

5. I just figured he would run down to Home Depot and get some silicone. But he said it was a sealant designed for this. It had been 6 months and it is still as tight as the day he sealed it.

4PacificBird likes this.
  6. Silka 220+ is what I'd recommend. It is a polyurethane sealant used with replacement windshields. It holds tight but remains flexible. Surfaces to be joined must be clean and free of oils. Don't get the sealer where you don't want it--it is next to impossible to clean it off. Mineral spirits is reasonably effective at cleaning hands should you end up a sticky mess. Read up on the product on their web site to get cure times etc.

Gus Gutz likes this.
  7. Just used Gorilla Glue. Been 3-4 years and it has held well!

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!