Need convertible top advice on sealing around rear window 2003

Frodo

Frodo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0919.JPG I have a question about the convertible top on a 2003 TBird. I noticed that the top is not sealed to the bottom of the rear glass window. This leaves a pocket where water runs in. I think it should be sealed so it won't collect water. Can anyone help me on this? If it needs sealing I think I will use marine goop to glue the upper part of the top to the lower part of the window. Anyone lease have this problem, or is it not supposed to be sealed to the window.
Thanks
Frodo

I have the same problem. Hopefully we'll get an answer.

I had that same problem. I took it to a local auto upholstery and soft top shop and they sealed my back window. I paid about 75 bucks and it spent the day while the sealant dried. I have not had an issue since.

I had that same problem. I took it to a local auto upholstery and soft top shop and they sealed my back window. I paid about 75 bucks and it spent the day while the sealant dried. I have not had an issue since.
Do you know what they used?
Thanks
I will check our area for a softtop repair shop. I live in the Destin, Ft Walton Beach area.
Frodo

Do you know what they used?
Thanks
I will check our area for a softtop repair shop. I live in the Destin, Ft Walton Beach area.
Frodo
I just figured he would run down to Home Depot and get some silicone. But he said it was a sealant designed for this. It had been 6 months and it is still as tight as the day he sealed it.

Silka 220+ is what I'd recommend. It is a polyurethane sealant used with replacement windshields. It holds tight but remains flexible. Surfaces to be joined must be clean and free of oils. Don't get the sealer where you don't want it--it is next to impossible to clean it off. Mineral spirits is reasonably effective at cleaning hands should you end up a sticky mess. Read up on the product on their web site to get cure times etc.

Silka 220+ is what I'd recommend. It is a polyurethane sealant used with replacement windshields. It holds tight but remains flexible. Surfaces to be joined must be clean and free of oils. Don't get the sealer where you don't want it--it is next to impossible to clean it off. Mineral spirits is reasonably effective at cleaning hands should you end up a sticky mess. Read up on the product on their web site to get cure times etc.
Just used Gorilla Glue. Been 3-4 years and it has held well!

I ordered 3M window weld, is that not a good thing use for this? I also noticed that the left, right, and top are a separate cover and appear to have never been glued to the glass. I also have the 3M primer to use before the window weld as recommended. I know this stuff is very permanent and used on a lot of soft top repairs on foreign cars, but they glue everything to the glass. Like I said it only appears that the bottom strip is glued to the glass on this car. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

I used Gorilla glue epoxy. Still holding after one year. I actually masked off the glass with blue tape to prevent overage.

View attachment 1262 View attachment 1263 I have a question about the convertible top on a 2003 TBird. I noticed that the top is not sealed to the bottom of the rear glass window. This leaves a pocket where water runs in. I think it should be sealed so it won't collect water. Can anyone help me on this? If it needs sealing I think I will use marine goop to glue the upper part of the top to the lower part of the window. Anyone lease have this problem, or is it not supposed to be sealed to the window.
Thanks
Frodo
Use sika flex 220+.buy on amazon.get the black.3m window weld will alsowork but is more labor intensive.i i clean out the area masked off the window and the lip of the fabric.applied product.stuff pillow in back window and some weights on outside to hold surfaces together. i let it sit for a week.trimmed off excess and it came out perfect.no leak

absolutely dont use gorilla glue.its not flexible it will fail.and good luck cleaning it off when u have to fix it the right way.

View attachment 1262 View attachment 1263 I have a question about the convertible top on a 2003 TBird. I noticed that the top is not sealed to the bottom of the rear glass window. This leaves a pocket where water runs in. I think it should be sealed so it won't collect water. Can anyone help me on this? If it needs sealing I think I will use marine goop to glue the upper part of the top to the lower part of the window. Anyone lease have this problem, or is it not supposed to be sealed to the window.
Thanks
Frodo

Back